PDA

View Full Version : Gear oil for Rockwell 503 belt sander...

Joe Kieve
05-03-2011, 8:36 AM
I'm almost out of the gear oil that Rockwell provides with their 503 belt sander. I'm not talking about the heavier grease for the chain but the lighter weight for the gear box. Short of ordering more from them (it's expensive), did I read somewhere that 90 wt. non-detergent gear oil is ok to use in this sander? It's a great machine and I don't want to ruin it.

Thanks for your suggestions/replies.

Joe

I did a little searching after posting this and found out @support.dewalt.com that the 90 weight is what they recommend for this sander.

Randy Reitz
05-03-2011, 11:10 AM
That's what I use for my old Rockwell/Delta/Invicta DC-33 planer. Much cheaper than buying from Delta.

Myk Rian
05-03-2011, 12:13 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?165327-Gear-oil-for-Jet-planer&p=1696357#post1696357

Larry Edgerton
05-05-2011, 6:48 AM
A gear is a gear. Synthetics are far superior, that has been proven in racing applications. I use the same Amsoil that I used in a 800 hp off road race rear diff. It has a much higher impact strength that dino oil. It makes it a little quieter, which means there is less wear going on. No problems.

I use it in my worm drive saws and my older PC saws that require lube. Works better when cold as a side benifit.