PDA

View Full Version : Ebonized/burned rim treatment

Charlie Goodrich
05-03-2011, 3:15 AM
I pulled up these pictures from a number I've collected over time from the web, but didn't note how the rim was done. Maybe I got them from this site :)

How do you think the rim was treated? Ebonized or burned? If burned, do you normally cover with any finish?

I'd like to do the same for a bowl I'm doing from elm.

Thanks in advance,

Charlie

193527 193528

Roger Chandler
05-03-2011, 6:56 AM
Charlie........on the pics it looks like this particular bowl has had a pyro treatment [burned] I say that because of the "grainy" texture of the wood as you look at it closely, especially the light as it shines on the side and rim of the second pic.

that is my guess...........when I have ebonized, I usually get a more slick finish.........but on this, just know I could be incorrect.

Steve Vaughan
05-03-2011, 7:03 AM
That's a great looking bowl. I'm gonna go with ebonized. I say that because you can clearly see the grain without distortion of pyro. I believe that if you were to pyro that much surface, you'd have a different surface. I recently did a cherry bowl with a similar rim that I had ebonized with shoe leather dye and this looks very, very much like it.

Bill Bulloch
05-03-2011, 9:01 AM
I am going to go with an ebonized effect too. It looks like he might have used a skew cut to square it up. It, also, looks like the foot is treated.

Steve Schlumpf
05-03-2011, 9:21 AM
I agree with some form of ebonizing because you can clearly see the grain. Looking forward to seeing your Elm bowl!

Bernie Weishapl
05-03-2011, 11:09 AM
I agree also it looks ebonized. Either way as to your question of finish, I do put finish over both.

Scott Hackler
05-03-2011, 11:48 AM
Another vote for ebonized. Looks like it was done and then the outside (below the black) was turned down some, as you can see the black is larger diameter than the rest.

Charlie Goodrich
05-03-2011, 3:15 PM
Yes, I’ll be shamelessly borrowing heavily from this design and hope the elm looks as good as this walnut.

Thanks for all your insight. I’ll likely start with the shoe polish first. Noob finish question: any concerns with covering shoe polish with Salad Bowl finish?

Scott Hackler
05-03-2011, 4:09 PM
Because of the wax in the shoe polish, I would think other finishes might not want to "stick". But I dunno for sure. India Ink would work well, but definitely wear gloves because it will stain EVERYTHING!

Steve Vaughan
05-03-2011, 4:32 PM
I would suggest the shoe leather DYE - not polish. You can get your bowl turned and sanded out like you want it. What I did with my bowl was used that new frog painters tape (don't really know if that mattered though) and run it on the inside of the bowl at the top, with a little bit over hang above the edge. Then, took a razor blade and *carefully* cut it running the blade flat along the top so I had a good clean edge. Took my fingernail and really pressed that edge down to keep any bleeding under it from happening. Then I used the tape and put it along the outside of the bowl at where I wanted my bottom outside edge to be, again, using a razor blade to make a good, clean line and pressed that edge hard, again to avoid bleeding. I had but a small, shallow groove in place for that outside, bottom edge, so it was easy to let the razor blade ride in that groove to get a clean line.

Then, I used the shoe leather dye (I used the KIWI brand) and applied the dye on in a series of coats, letting the first few dry good before applying the next ones. Works great and in my case accepted Watco Danish Oil and laquer with no problems. Here's a pic:

Charlie Goodrich
05-03-2011, 4:39 PM
Thanks, Steve!

Is that your walnut bowl I'm using for inspiration?

Steve Vaughan
05-03-2011, 6:22 PM
Thanks Charlie, this is my bowl, but it's cherry. Oh, and that's texturing I did in the black-dyed area and not the grain of the wood. Good luck with your project, I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Just realized, Charlie, maybe the walnut bowl is what you're referring to in your last post. No, that's not mine, if that's what you were asking. Sorry 'bout the confusion...on my part. The one I posted just above here is mine, and it's cherry. Am I confused enough?

Charlie Goodrich
05-03-2011, 9:08 PM
Now I'm using them both for inspiration :)

How did you do the texturing on your cherry bowl?