PDA

View Full Version : Apple Bowl

Scott Lux
05-02-2011, 10:39 PM
This came from the ugliest graft I have ever seen on a tree. It was a knob, about 6" diameter a little over a foot off the ground. It looked like the tree was trying to strangle itself, and I suspect it did.

Bowl is 4" by almost 2.5", walls are 1/2"+. Finish is four coats of spray on gloss polycrylic MM to 12000. Being apple (with pith in two places) it cracked a lot.

Cracks are stabilized with CA, but not completely filled before finishing. I thought the piece was fairly rustic, so I let the cracks "show through" the finish.

I've still got some flat areas in the profile, but I think I've improved somewhat. I chucked it with a recess, and that's still visible. Or it would be if I'd remembered to take a pic of the bottom.

Comments and critiques are welcome.

David E Keller
05-02-2011, 10:43 PM
Rustic it is, Scott. I like these gnarly, cracked pieces. On the form, it looks like there's one little spot just about the center of the form(at the widest point) where you could 'sweeten' the curve just a touch... That's pretty nit picky, but that's the only thing I see. Keep 'em comin'.

Steve Schlumpf
05-03-2011, 12:00 AM
Yup - rustic is a good description! Really like the intense color!

bob svoboda
05-03-2011, 9:02 AM
I like the shape and cracks look neat. Nice finish to show off the wood.

Michael James
05-03-2011, 8:38 PM
Ornery chunk done well. Love the wood and finish and the form ain't that bad from here!

Baxter Smith
05-03-2011, 9:11 PM
Has some great color and a useful shape Scott.

Bernie Weishapl
05-03-2011, 9:32 PM
Rustic for sure and love the wood color.

Scott Lux
05-03-2011, 10:47 PM
I gave it to the original owners of the house, they planted the tree after all. They were quite pleased.