PDA

View Full Version : firewood?

cal thelen
05-02-2011, 10:05 PM
I was cutting up some fallen trees for fire wood this weekend and I found this. not even sure what kind of wood it is. its pretty dry, It looks like its been laying for awhile, I usually clean the woods out on a regular basis and I dont remember seeing it laying down last sept.. there is some cracks in it. the middle is solid yet, not punky or soft. My question is do you think there is something useful in there? do I split and put on the campfire if not what is my next step? I have never done anything like this so I am pretty clueless. thanks

David E Keller
05-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Wood is like a box of chocolates... You never know what you're gonna get. If it's big enough to do what you've got in mind, I'd definitely give it a go. It looks like it's 9 or 10 inches in diameter, so any bowls from it would be on the smaller side of things. If you've into endgrain turning, You could get lidded boxes or canisters from it or even some hollow forms. The area in the center of the second picture looks like there might be some interesting grain there, but you just never know. If it's been down for a while, it may be spalted also. I'd vote to mount up a chunk, and see what's inside.

charlie knighton
05-02-2011, 10:37 PM
my only comment is that if you turn somethinglike a bowl, but leave the outside natural

i am sorry that i do not know who turned this piece, it is very nice, i saw it in nashville this past winter, anybody know who turned it?

Dan Forman
05-02-2011, 10:52 PM
I only know one way to find out. :)

Dan

Terry Murphy
05-02-2011, 10:54 PM
No mater what happens, it can revert back to firewood.

Dick Wilson
05-02-2011, 11:00 PM
Like Terry said, it started out as firewood and it end up that way. I see all kinds of design opportunities in that little gem.

Steve Schlumpf
05-02-2011, 11:54 PM
Cal - it's only wood - give it a shot!