PDA

View Full Version : Van Son printers ink

Sandy Henry
05-02-2011, 9:25 PM
I'm looking for best product to brighten up black marble after lasering. I've heard that Van Son is good - don't know where to find it. Doe's anyone recommend another product?
Thanks, Sandy

Dan Hintz
05-03-2011, 6:45 AM
I just picked up some bright white oil paint at Michael's... works as well as anything else I've tried.

Bill Cunningham
05-03-2011, 9:20 PM
If it's 'marble' you don't have to brighten it. It turns white when the laser hits it.
If it's 'lasersketch' marble, it's granite, and Winton's Titanium White oil paint works great. Wash your surface off first, so there is no granite dust to scratch it, let it dry, then rub in the oil paint leave it overnight, then buff it off the next day.. If it sits a few more days, you can seal it with a common stone sealer from HD

Joseph Belangia
05-03-2011, 10:18 PM
Maybe you guys aren't trying hard enough.

I've had great success with Van Son Inks.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5171/5518142035_91b0781c9b_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5177/5459211137_5e3ba281ac_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5294/5459210533_3ac561685b_z.jpg

I think they are superior to oil paint from Michael's.

But what do I know...

Dan Hintz
05-04-2011, 6:15 AM
Joseph,

Nice images, but the "quality" (and price) of Van Son's isn't necessary for tile work. We're not printing on 98% bright stock white posterboard, we're wiping into engraved black tile. Pantone color accuracy isn't a major priority ;)

Joseph Belangia
05-04-2011, 8:23 AM
I disagree, Dan.

The poster asked what the best was, and I feel that VanSon's ink is and I gave my examples to back it up.

I'll ignore the other cheap comments about Pantone colors and bright white posterboard because of its irrelevance to the conversation.

Jeff Belany
05-04-2011, 11:43 AM
I use Titanium White oil paint also. I have tried printers ink but found it looks nice but a lot harder to wipe off as it is very thick. Has anyone tried thinning down the printers ink? What solvent did you use? I shoudl go down to my local printer and ask for a little press wash and try it.

For white tiles I use a black patinating wax I've had on the shelf for years -- very easy to use and looks nice.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Dan Hintz
05-04-2011, 1:15 PM
I disagree, Dan.

The poster asked what the best was, and I feel that VanSon's ink is and I gave my examples to back it up.

I'll ignore the other cheap comments about Pantone colors and bright white posterboard because of its irrelevance to the conversation.
Joseph,

It looks like you took my comments a little more personally than they were intended.

The OP asked for the best product to perform a job, and the job is lightening up a tile. Everyone's idea of what defines "the best" is likely different, but using a purchasing a Ferrari to get the groceries when a Mercedes will do seems wasteful. Van Son's ink is definitely the Ferrari of printing inks and is an excellent product, but I believe its use on tiles is overkill. The bleedthrough alone changes the contrast, and the less expensive stuff that can be found at Michael's (among other art supply stores) is quite adequate. I have tried multiple paints of various qualities and costs on tiles (including Van Son), but I always chose the middle-of-the-road stuff.

I can't taste the difference between a $50 bottle of wine and a $500 bottle of wine, so I only buy $50 and less (actually, usually around $15-20). Same with the paints... middle of the road gives complete solid coverage without being needlessly expensive, and I can tell no difference in brightness or color on a granite tile. If you can, your eyes are certainly better than mine. But I'll say it again, we're not matching Pantone colors... no idea why that is a "cheap" comment.

Chuck Stone
05-04-2011, 2:07 PM
"Can't we all just get a lawn?"
Rodney King

Joseph Belangia
05-04-2011, 2:19 PM
Has anyone tried thinning down the printers ink? What solvent did you use?

I have, Jeff....Linseed Oil.

Joseph Belangia
05-04-2011, 2:38 PM
Joseph,

It looks like you took my comments a little more personally than they were intended.

The OP asked for the best product to perform a job, and the job is lightening up a tile. Everyone's idea of what defines "the best" is likely different, but using a purchasing a Ferrari to get the groceries when a Mercedes will do seems wasteful. Van Son's ink is definitely the Ferrari of printing inks and is an excellent product, but I believe its use on tiles is overkill. The bleedthrough alone changes the contrast, and the less expensive stuff that can be found at Michael's (among other art supply stores) is quite adequate. I have tried multiple paints of various qualities and costs on tiles (including Van Son), but I always chose the middle-of-the-road stuff.

I can't taste the difference between a $50 bottle of wine and a $500 bottle of wine, so I only buy $50 and less (actually, usually around $15-20). Same with the paints... middle of the road gives complete solid coverage without being needlessly expensive, and I can tell no difference in brightness or color on a granite tile. If you can, your eyes are certainly better than mine. But I'll say it again, we're not matching Pantone colors... no idea why that is a "cheap" comment.

Yeah....that was stupid of me to give an opinion without checking with you first.

Sandy Henry
05-04-2011, 9:32 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the input. Already tried the Van Son & it was SOOOO thick. I thinned it with xylene - nasty stuff! Good results but I'm gonna try the basic oil paint just to get away from the toxic fumes. Thanks again everybody. Sandy

Dan Hintz
05-05-2011, 6:18 AM
Sandy... gets something middle of the road, not the cheapest you can find on the shelf. The really cheap stuff often doesn't have a good level of pigmentation when the carrier dries out, you might get separation, excessive bleed-through that forces you to leave a thicker coat on there, etc.

Larry Bratton
05-05-2011, 9:47 AM
I can't taste the difference between a $50 bottle of wine and a $500 bottle of wine, so I only buy $50 and less (actually, usually around $15-20).

In this economy I buy Ripple..but I use Winton's Oil -White Titanium. Like Bill said -rub it in, let it dry and buff it off.

Dan Hintz
05-05-2011, 11:01 AM
In this economy I buy Ripple...
I have a sweet tooth, which means pricey things like dessert ice wine ($100+/bottle!)... in this economy, I don't buy too many of those ;) But I purchase Gollywobbler by the multiple-caseload. Usually one white, one red, and maybe some pinks thrown in for good measure. Yummy stuff, very sweet table wine, and a reasonable $15/bottle, give or take.

Larry Bratton
05-05-2011, 12:58 PM
I have a sweet tooth, which means pricey things like dessert ice wine ($100+/bottle!)... in this economy, I don't buy too many of those ;) But I purchase Gollywobbler by the multiple-caseload. Usually one white, one red, and maybe some pinks thrown in for good measure. Yummy stuff, very sweet table wine, and a reasonable $15/bottle, give or take.

Sounds good..especially the White made with Niagra grapes. Does not appear though than St Michaels has decided to come south..so I guess I'm stuck with tha Ripple..sighhh

Chuck Stone
05-05-2011, 1:38 PM
In this economy I buy Ripple..

Add some Velveeta and you got yerself a wine & cheese party!

Dan Hintz
05-05-2011, 6:16 PM
Does not appear though than St Michaels has decided to come south...
Which is very odd, IMO, because they make a wide range of wines, all of them good in their own way, even the ones that aren't exactly my taste. Every year we go to the local wine festivals and pick up some of their latest mixes. There's one place in northern MD that makes mead-based wines... not dessert in all cases, but close to it. They have a chile mead that packs quite a punch.

greg lindsey
05-05-2011, 8:01 PM
I use Van Son black ink almost weekly, I manufacture a part for the printing industry and use it to back fill clear acrylic panels, dilute with california wash / express wash and rub on and rub off after drying, works extremely well. I purchase it at Xpedex printing supplies.