PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Utility Bowl

John Hart
05-02-2011, 8:03 PM
Hello Creeker Vortex Abyssal People!! :)

I had to make a "utility" bowl and I goofed up by putting a pedestal under it. I guess I have to try again.:o But no matter. It's made of wood, it's round, so I figure it'll be ok if I stick it on SMC....even if it's not good enough for SOME PEOPLE.:p

Whew!!! Glad I got that out of my system.:)

This is Walnut with a Mahogany pedestal. 12" in diameter and 4.5" high. Finished with WOP and buffed. Nutin' special about it really...not much figure...but it'll hold oranges I bet ;).

Critiques and stinging remarks about it being ALL WRONG is most humbly appreciated. :)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Steve Schlumpf
05-02-2011, 8:05 PM
I like it! Turned a few of those varieties myself - called a compote. Works well for a table centerpiece! Nice work John!

Baxter Smith
05-02-2011, 8:12 PM
Looks great to me! The foot might be a little large but I am only comparing it to some glass ones my wife has. She puts oranges in them too!

Steve Kennedy
05-02-2011, 8:13 PM
I think it looks great!!

Roger Chandler
05-02-2011, 8:16 PM
Very nice compote, John....I really like the upper bowl with ogee form.........I would have made the base of the pedestal a bit smaller in diameter, and it would have had better form in my opinion......but that is my opinion.........great work on this!

John Keeton
05-02-2011, 8:26 PM
John, I love the bowl part - just a really beautiful walnut bowl. The foot/base works, but I wonder if perhaps a replication of the ogee in a little smaller base might work, too. The only negative for me is the wood combo. Walnut and mahogany just don't seem to work for me.

David E Keller
05-02-2011, 8:27 PM
I think it's lovely! I can't believe I'm typing this, but here goes... That form needed a pedestal or at least a FOOT! I can't believe that came from my fingers. I just encouraged someone to put feet on turned things! Aaarg!!

Roger Chandler
05-02-2011, 9:40 PM
I think it's lovely! I can't believe I'm typing this, but here goes... That form needed a pedestal or at least a FOOT! I can't believe that came from my fingers. I just encouraged someone to put feet on turned things! Aaarg!!

David..........you are making progress! An appropriate foot is a design feature that has important function and adds visual interest to a piece.............get away from all that "plain jane" stuff and let your inner "R-teeest" soar..........:p:rolleyes::D:D;)

Donny Lawson
05-02-2011, 9:51 PM
No complaints here. I think it looks good

David Reed
05-02-2011, 9:52 PM
I also like the lovely walnut bowl. Love the ogee and how you accomplished smooth sweeping curves so well. Guess I will join the pig pile re the size of the foot on the pedestal, but who am I to say what is good or not - peer pressure you know.

Bernie Weishapl
05-02-2011, 9:55 PM
John gotta say I like it. Really nice form and have to agree it is a nice center piece.

Dan Forman
05-02-2011, 10:37 PM
I like the bowl, and I like the pedestal. That said, they would work together better with the repetition of the ogee in the pedestal, either on the top or bottom element. My choice would probably be the top - the bottom already has a nice, sweeping curve to it, but the sharp, angled corner of the top element seems out of place, an ogee there would smooth it and bring greater unity through repetition. I don't mind the size of the foot, as this was meant to be functional, it will add stability. Not a big fan of mixing woods that are very close to each other in color and value, would like to see perhaps a darker pedestal.

Dan

Michael James
05-02-2011, 11:17 PM
Looks muy bonita from here, amigo. I'm guessing you skipped the blueprint phase and went straight to the "you know, sorta like" and winged it from there. I gave up reading minds yrs ago, because Im simply no good at it!

Kathy Marshall
05-03-2011, 4:22 AM
I like it John! Never would have occured to me to put a pedestal on a bowl, but I think it really works! ...filing it away for future inspiration....

Michelle Rich
05-03-2011, 5:31 AM
I think you nailed the ogee curve on the bowl. could be a candy dish too...lots to do with it..

John Hart
05-03-2011, 6:20 AM
Thank you all for your nice thoughts. The extra wide foot really is for stability. I knew I was going beyond the standard, but I thought if it was a nice sweeping curve, that might make up for it. Now the ogee on the upper element idea....Hey! You got something there! I like it. I'll try that next. :) As far as mixing mahogany and walnut...Hmmm...I just don't see the problem. I know it's me...I know it, I know it. I have absolutely no fashion sense either. You should see my socks!!!

Anyway...thanks again. I'll probably be doing a few more of these. I'll change it up and see what happens.

Oh...by the way...I used the Doug Thompson 1/4" fingernail detail gouge on the pedestal....WOW!!! what wonderful control on that tight curve. Hardly needed to sand. :)

philip labre
05-03-2011, 6:47 AM
Love it, John! The curves really flow well.

Hayes Rutherford
05-03-2011, 8:11 AM
Nothing wrong with that form and probably adds variety to your stock of wood turning.

bob svoboda
05-03-2011, 8:56 AM
Nice bowl...I Like, but please keep your socks to yourself.

Stephen Walker
05-03-2011, 8:59 AM
I too like it. It has that "cake plate" look to it. Also like the wood combo, I find it very complimentary. Just wondering though, no laquer, even on the bottom maybe?

Cathy Schaewe
05-04-2011, 9:01 PM

I'm going to remember this ...

Cathy Schaewe
05-04-2011, 9:03 PM
You should see my socks!!!

I already knew enough about your socks ... you didn't need to share any more!:eek:;):D

Seriously, I like the piece. Like the others, the diameter on the foot could have been smaller, but that's a tiny nit to pick. It looks good -