PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Aluminum (not with the laser)

Jeff Belany
05-02-2011, 12:57 PM
I'm interested in what techniques/equipment you guys use to cut sheets of aluminum to size before you laser it? Product like Laserblak or brass plated steel JDS sells. I know about the metal shears out there but was interested if anyone does it without one. Or, any supplier that sells anything cheaper.

Thanks,

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Chuck Stone
05-02-2011, 2:19 PM
If it isn't too thin, I've had decent luck with a toy band saw (Ryobi tabletop with a metal
cutting blade ie. many teeth, finely spaced) If it gets too thin and starts to pull rather
than cut, I'll put it on a piece of sacrificial plywood with some double stick tape.
Might not be the best way to do it, but I did it so infrequently that I just thought
it would work so I did it.
BUT .. I haven't used the products you mention. That might change everything.

Martin Boekers
05-02-2011, 2:53 PM
Some places sell pre cut plates, but then your stuck with those sizes.

Don't go cheap on a cutter, it is one of our main tools in this industry.
You can have the most perfect engraved plate, but if the cut isn't clean
It looks like %#$@.

You may try to find one used on Craigslist are at an auction house, it
cost about $30 or so to get the blades sharpened.

When you look at shears make sure you get the one that fits your needs,
some only cut acrylic, others aluminum and/or steel.

shawn zumbrum
05-02-2011, 3:12 PM
Jeff
spend the money and by an accucutter check out there site at accucutter.com they are made in the u.s.a. and are made to last.
I have had mine fo 2 years no trouble.

Doug Griffith
05-02-2011, 5:29 PM
When you look at shears make sure you get the one that fits your needs,
some only cut acrylic, others aluminum and/or steel.

Only a guess, but I'm sure you mean a saw for cutting acrylic.

Martin Boekers
05-02-2011, 5:48 PM
Only a guess, but I'm sure you mean a saw for cutting acrylic.
Ya got me!

Should have been plastics!

ray hampton
05-02-2011, 6:27 PM
if the plastic or aluminum are thin enough then a paper cutter will cut them within reason

Dan Hintz
05-02-2011, 6:48 PM
If it's small quantities, I use an electric metal shear from HF... something like $25 on sale, and you can cut surprisingly accurate straight lines by hand, even better if you set up a fixture.

Joe Pelonio
05-02-2011, 8:16 PM
Establish a relationship with a sheet metal/heating shop. The one I work with will charge me from 0-$7 to cut up a sheet into whatever sizes I want on their hydraulic guillotine.

Andrea Weissenseel
05-03-2011, 2:31 AM
I bought me this mini circular saw http://www.exakt.biz/ec320.html and use it for cutting metal, tiles and slate. Haven't tried acrylic yet

Ron Chapellaz
05-03-2011, 9:36 AM
Jeff
spend the money and by an accucutter check out there site at accucutter.com they are made in the u.s.a. and are made to last.
I have had mine fo 2 years no trouble.

I agree with Shawn. I've had a shear for many years, and it is a very valuable tool and I wouldn't go without.

Bill Cunningham
05-03-2011, 9:29 PM
I have a 24" Ideal Kuttrimer I bought over twenty years ago, Don't use it too often now, it was bought for cutting the rotary type Romark engraving plastic. And would still cut that fine if I ever needed it again..I cut my laser Romark, or Encore plastic with the laser while doing the job itself. For metal, I have a bench top 12" shear that cost me about 200 bucks, and it does a nice job on metal.

Jeff Belany
05-05-2011, 3:40 PM
Just saw this one on EBAY. Anyone ever used one? Cost is about $150 shipped. Curious how smooth a cut it makes.

Another one I've looked at is the one Harbor Freight has for $400 (on sale) It is a shear/brake/roller that is 30" wide. Always wanted one for working on my old cars although the older I get, that hasn't been happening much.

Jonathan Overlin
05-05-2011, 4:56 PM
I would agree with Dan, I would think an electric metal shear would work for you, and they are under $50.

Bruce Boone
05-05-2011, 5:40 PM
I have a shear like the one Jeff shows. I use mine to shear Damascus steel and meteorite. It makes great cuts.

Bill Cunningham
05-05-2011, 9:46 PM
Just saw this one on EBAY. Anyone ever used one? Cost is about $150 shipped. Curious how smooth a cut it makes.

Another one I've looked at is the one Harbor Freight has for $400 (on sale) It is a shear/brake/roller that is 30" wide. Always wanted one for working on my old cars although the older I get, that hasn't been happening much.

The one in the picture, is usually used for hacking off flatbar.. Mine is one of the combo shear/roller/brake but has working areas of about 12.5" wide. I didn't need a 30 inch one.

Mike Null
05-05-2011, 11:07 PM
I agree with the Accucutter. It's a premium but the best equipment I've seen. You'll need square cuts and repeat cuts. Hand helds just don't have the reliability on that score.

Ross Moshinsky
05-05-2011, 11:49 PM
This is what we use: http://cgi.ebay.com/16Ga-Cap-36-W-Diacro-36K-SHEET-METAL-SHEAR-Foot-Shea-/150595809447?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231035b0a7#ht_6291wt_1270

If we didn't have this, we'd probably have a 25" Accucutter.

Jeff Belany
05-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Wow Bruce. Damascus steel and meteorite!! Not something most of us cut every day. Do you ever cut thin metals on it? Does it make a fairly clean cut? Price is right. My thought was to build a table around it with a fence to allow for nice square cuts. Think it would work?

Thanks everyone for the input. SMC is the best!!

Conrad Fiore
05-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Had this shear for over 50 years and still works like the day it was bought.
http://www.diacro.com/metal-forming/hand-shears.php