PDA

View Full Version : Just thanx...

David DeCristoforo
05-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Well here it is... May of 2011. It's been a year since I shifted my focus from "flatwork" to turning. I don't want to go all mushy here but the people on this forum have provided me with so much support and camaraderie during this last year that I felt obliged to at least say thanx. SMC has given me a sense of community that I just cannot imagine finding anywhere else. Working alone in a very small space might have been much less enjoyable without knowing that there was someplace where I could ask for help or get ideas and "feedback" or crack some jokes or share my work and see the work of others. There's some really talented people here and they are all so willing to encourage others, sharing not only their successes but their faux pas and failures as well! So to all the fine folks here in the vortex of SMC, a big and heartfelt thank you...

DD

Roger Chandler
05-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Happy anniversary David...........your presence, wit, turning ability and critiques have made the year on SMC a little better for us all as well!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-02-2011, 1:02 PM
David....it's been as much our pleasure and honor that Mrs. DeCristforo let you come out and play with us!:eek::D:D

Dan Forman
05-02-2011, 1:04 PM
David---Thank you - for the wonderful pieces you post, the inspiration you give the rest of us, for your sense of humor, and contributions including feedback and design.

Dan

Scott Hackler
05-02-2011, 1:12 PM
Wow, has it been a year already? Time seems to have flown by. Congrats on finding the vortex. You obviously have a knack and talent for this medium and you, i don't believe, would ever be able to express your artistic side if you would have just stuck with flat work.

John Hart
05-02-2011, 2:02 PM
Wow...a year. I'm hoping to catch up with you soon. Please stop and give me a sporting chance.

Ron Stadler
05-02-2011, 2:06 PM
Well I haven't been a member long myself, but of what Iv'e seen of your work I can't imagine you being any place else, and thank you and others for sharing your work and hope to learn more this year as well from all the great projects posted on here.

Jim Adkins
05-02-2011, 2:11 PM
You've come a long way David. Congrats for sharing all your work with us. You've been
very free with sharing your methods with us. Keep turning.

bob svoboda
05-02-2011, 2:14 PM
David. Your artistic postings, your kind comments and your sense of humor are greatly appreciated.

Tim Thiebaut
05-02-2011, 2:20 PM
David you have only been doing this a year? Seriously, I thought you were one of the folks that have been turning for years and years your work is so good. Man if I am half as good as you when I hit my year mark in about 7 months I will consider myself extremly fortunate. Congrats on your 1 year David, you are one of the many people here that I look up to for inspiration.

I feel the same as you and am very thankful for everyone here, for their input, advice, selfless generosity and camaraderie. Looking forward to seeing what the next year brings for you David.

Reed Gray
05-02-2011, 2:22 PM
I like your work as well. I am not that 'artistic'. If you can, come see me at the Whole Earth Festival this weekend, and chat for a bit.

robo hippy

Michael James
05-02-2011, 2:31 PM
David, it's been quite a yr, and this joint wouldn't be the same without your wit and wisdom. Your passion for woodwork and your experiences seem to have made the transition (to spinny) effortless, but it all requires work. To come up with your own signature pieces and style in such a short time is quite a feat. Congratulations.
mj

Jim Burr
05-02-2011, 2:50 PM
And thanks to you DD for offering you C&C to help us improve too!

Steve Schlumpf
05-02-2011, 2:57 PM
David - Congrats on your one year anniversary! Hard to believe a year has gone by already but your work sure shows everyone that you didn't waste any time in figuring this turning stuff out!

I agree with your feelings towards the Creek and also enjoy being part of a community where the sharing of ideas, methods, humor and even our failures serve to help all of us! Happy to hear you are enjoying the journey and look forward to see what design ideas you come up with next! Have fun!

Dick Wilson
05-02-2011, 3:05 PM
Soooo David, When are you going to show us some of the good stuff as well as your sense of humor??:D:D:D:D:D ROFLMAO I totally agree with you having been on SMC for less than a year. Other sites are nice but this is much more like a chat room with a great bunch of turners.

David E Keller
05-02-2011, 3:45 PM
Your welcome, but it should be us thanking you... Without your knowledge of coffee for crack filling and chicken schmaltz for wood drying, where would we be?

John Keeton
05-02-2011, 3:50 PM
David, on May 8, 2010, I posted the following in the thread you started -
David, so glad to see you coming over to the round side!! You bring some fantastic skills, broad knowledge base, and a good eye for design.

We will be seeing some beautiful work from David - his learning curve will be short!!!

I don't get much right, but I nailed this one!!! Thanks for all your beautiful work, the wit and wisdom, and for providing in a rather strange way, a balance to Hart!!!

Tim Rinehart
05-02-2011, 5:12 PM
Happy Anniversary DD, ya big ol lathe turning, schmaltz applying, spindly supportin, wood chucking, sum gun you!:D:D:D
Time flies in the vortex...don't it!

Jack Tyree
05-02-2011, 5:53 PM
I've gotten more inspiration and yuks from you than you've gotten support and camaraderie from me. Your work is wonderful even without noticing that you've only been in this vortex for one year. Just wish I could learn as much in a year. Happy anniversary! Sit back and relax and enjoy... maybe have some schmaltz... on a steek. What would you call that, anyway?

David DeCristoforo
05-02-2011, 5:59 PM
"...schmaltz... on a steek. What would you call that, anyway..."

A schmall schtick? (...hic...)

Fred Perreault
05-02-2011, 6:15 PM
I have been a member for a couple of years. This a an incredible resource, and full of inspiration. I have found over time that one of the best tools for my shop is the web link to SMC. My shop and I would not have prospered as well nor as quickly without it............ you do good work David

Baxter Smith
05-02-2011, 8:22 PM
Ditto the thoughts about this forum David though I'm not "mushy enough" to say it quite so well.;):)
I have enjoyed all the color you have added to this group. The air brushed kind too.:D

Harry Robinette
05-02-2011, 10:02 PM
DD
Going round was the best thing you did ..For us. Your wit and wisdom is will known,but your work is where I see the unbelievable and incredible mind you have for the design and artistic values in your work.I hope you have many more years in the Vortex and here at the Creek.

Harry

Bernie Weishapl
05-02-2011, 10:06 PM
David congrats on the year. Your humor and unbelievable turnings have given us a lot to look at and hope to aspire to. Thanks for sharing.

mike ash
05-02-2011, 11:47 PM
David - I try not to miss too many of the threads you start. I find them usually very instructional or inspirational....but always they make me smile!!!

Thanks for posting, Mike Ash

Cathy Schaewe
05-04-2011, 9:06 PM
and for providing in a rather strange way, a balance to Hart!!!

Hm. I'm going to think about that for a while.

I think you (DD) have - in the short time you've been turning (even less than me) - not only shown some genius, but have done so with grace, wit and humor. Thank YOU!

Don Alexander
05-04-2011, 10:25 PM
what she said

Ed Morgano
05-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Yes, what Cathy said. Dave, I'm sort of a lurker most of the time. I read to learn so it's nice to be entertained at the same time. Thanks to you.

Dennis Simmons
05-05-2011, 7:04 PM
Your work is outstanding, your quick whit is awesome. Happy anniversary!! There are a lot of good people on this forum, you fit in very well.

Allan Ferguson
05-05-2011, 7:28 PM
Second all the other comments. I have been greatly impressed with your delicate work and humor.

David DeCristoforo
05-05-2011, 8:34 PM
I really appreciate all of the kind words. But hey... this is my thank you thread. You wanna start yer own thank you thread go for it. The correct response to "thank you" is "you're welcome". You guys are giving me a big head here. Even my wife noticed it! Now I have to say thanx for all the thanx... this could get really loopy! So here it is. Thanx again to everyone. This is a great bunch...