PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial Super Bowl Pool!!!

Tim Morton
02-03-2005, 10:49 PM
pats are giving up 7 points.....I'm taking the pats and giving the points!!! tiebreaker wil be how many points do the pats score on defense and special teams...(FG are special teams....XP's are NOT!!)

I say 15

BTW..I am SO stressed thinking about the game i am ready to pull the trigger on a beisemeyer fence(retail therapy)...I was not nearly this stressed over the 2 playoff games, and both indy and pitt are better teams than the eagles.

Jim Becker
02-03-2005, 11:10 PM
Well, Tim...I don't know who is going to win, but I hope it's a good game for both teams. And if you're really stressing and need some retail therapy, perhaps a HiDef video system would be a better choice than the fence...hee hee

As for me, I kinda have to support the "home team"...if they win, great. If they don't, well...it was a good year for them. (Not that I watch normally...)

Roger Myers
02-03-2005, 11:25 PM
can I hear a big GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:):):)

Jerry Olexa
02-04-2005, 12:06 AM
Even tho I have mucho respect for NE, I must, as predicted, pick the underdog Eagles to keep it interesting. I was born/raised in keystone state and went to school there so I have some allegiance to the local team! I hope it will be a good game w some excitement that lasts into the 4th qtr!. Tie breaker 13pts. I must admit the !st 2 AFC playoff games were more Super Bowl like. Toss the coin. The beer is cold and let's play football!:)

Tim Morton
02-04-2005, 1:25 AM
And if you're really stressing and need some retail therapy, perhaps a HiDef video system would be a better choice than the fence...hee hee

Too late, i ordered the fence from amazon. 40" Biesemeyer T-Square Home Shop Fence System...now I can make it thru the weekend till the game and think of someting over than the SB. I hink i can sell my unrip for about half what i paid for the new one and it won't hurt so bad. :cool:

g'night and go pats!!

Rob Littleton
02-04-2005, 4:55 AM
I think Im a curse........

literally, every team I have wanted to win (all throught the playoffs) has lost.

It got the point where I wanted Indianapolis to win, so I was rooting for the NE, but in my heart I wanted IA.

So....that being said.......GO PATS :-)

Glenn Clabo
02-04-2005, 5:30 AM
Well...let me see...GO...
http://altura.speedera.net/ccimg.catalogcity.com/210000/214300/214392/Products/8856858.jpg

Joe Mioux
02-04-2005, 6:25 AM
Pats will by more than 7 with Special Teams scoring 9 pts.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-04-2005, 8:14 AM
I'll take the eagles... tie breaker: 13

Michael Cody
02-04-2005, 11:08 AM
I'll take the eagles and the points ... PAT's special teams score 9 (and that's all the points the PAT's get btw)...

Jerry Olexa
02-04-2005, 1:54 PM
The suspense mounts....

Tim Morton
02-04-2005, 3:17 PM
I'll take the eagles and the points ... PAT's special teams score 9 (and that's all the points the PAT's get btw)...

we all know that philly is the better team both offense and defense and coaching, the pats are lucky to have got by indy and PA.....and you all know I'm not one for talkin smack...but but that last comment was plain laughable...did you MISS the steelers game? The pats might lose the game, but I'm pretty sure they will get at least 1 offensive point :cool:

Michael Cody
02-04-2005, 5:23 PM
we all know that philly is the better team both offense and defense and coaching, the pats are lucky to have got by indy and PA.....and you all know I'm not one for talkin smack...but but that last comment was plain laughable...did you MISS the steelers game? The pats might lose the game, but I'm pretty sure they will get at least 1 offensive point :cool:

I think you mis-understood the meaning of special teams:

Those are field goals.... those count for special teams so the offense will not score a touchdown is what I am saying. They beat up on Pitt because they won the filed position battle. McNabb is not Roethlisberger. I expect a much more physical game than Pitt gave NE. I expect low scores and a defensive struggle. It will come down to just field goals. There will be no weather here, no cold, no frozen turf. Philly is a faster team both on defense & offense. Personally I would like the PATS to cover if it was in Philly or NE but in the warm weather I like Philly. T.O. or no T.O. not to mention McNabb will not stand in the pocket and take hits like Ben ... it will be a much different game and Philly matches up much better against NE than Pitt did. Philly can run outside and Teddy B. & Mike V. won't be able to stop them, they aren't fast enough.

If you look at the stats for Pitt-NE game -- PITT won the stat battle handily, but the turnovers killed them. If you take out points off turners, PITT won. I don't expect Philly to make that mistake. I hate betting against NE -- no ones beaten them yet and to hear the experts, who knows why they are playing the game .. NE should just pick up the trophy. Then I remember back to the St. Louis Ram vs NE Superbowl .. we all know how that turned out. I don't think NE in a warm sunny stadium is 7 pts better than Philly.

Of course if you could make money betting on the NFL against the spread, all those guys with 900 numbers wouldn't be selling info, they would be placing bets!!

Tim Morton
02-04-2005, 6:43 PM
Mike...it seemed like you were saying that the pats would only score 9 points, assumingly all by 3 FG's. I tried to point out that the pats would score more than just FG's. its not uncommon to look at the "stats" after a pats game and have them come out on the short end of the numbers. The have a tendency to play "just good enough to win", and stats mean nothing to them. Go a little deeper and look at the yds rushing by a RB and you will see that they contained bettis forcing a rookie QB to have to beat them, and judging by the past 8 games rothesburger played that just wasn't going to happen. I'm worried about the eagles QB running on the pats defense...but nothing else abou the eagles worries me. The pats receivers will spread out the defense and that will give dillan LOTS of running rooom, and if the eagles have to "bite' on play action then there will be open receivers in the middle...the pats beat the steelers by managing the game and thats how they will beat the eagles...brady knows how to eat up 10 minutes off the clock and noone has stopped him from doing that yet. If the pats can convert on 3rd down then they will win. If you see alot of punting from the pats then we might be in trouble. And yes turnovers helped the pats in pittsburgh, but having the steelers turn the ball over on downs and getting into thier heads forcing a FG kick on 4th and goal from the 2 didn't hurt either :D

I can't WAIT!!! No question the pats will have to play the best game of the season for them to win. noone expected them to shut down the colts or to be able to score against the steelers...somehow they were able to do both.
:D

go pats!!

Michael Cody
02-04-2005, 11:52 PM
Not to Hi-Jack the thread .... I picked NE to waste the Colts from the start. You never bet on a dome team playing outside against a good opponent (over .500), in particular if it's in the winter up north ... the stat is something like 60% in favor of the outside team over the last 10 years, almost 80% if the temp is below 20dg. (NFL spread bet football fanatics track this kind of stuff). Same with the won/loss percentage of teams with over 300 yards passing and under 100 running in a game... that is almost a 70% loser right there.

I really thought Pitt would pound the ball, but the quick turnovers & scores took that away and let NE sit on the run game, making Ben the man -- he wasn't ready (this year anyway). Like I said it's a game of field position, if Philly lets NE play on a short field, they can cover 7 pts and win.. if they keep them honest and make NE drive the length of the field, I don't think NE will score a TD ...

But then as I said, no one has beat NE in the playoffs yet .. for a long time so if it was an even up game I would have to take NE, but w/7 pts, I have to take Philly... just hope it's a good game.

Tim Morton
02-07-2005, 5:41 PM
It would look like Michael won the ppol by taking the points and predicting 9 special team points....but luckily is was WAY off on his "no touchdown" prediction :D :D :D :D

Congrats!!!

Michael Cody
02-08-2005, 12:05 AM
I was off on the TD's -- Philly's defense wasn't up to the challenge, I was disappointed. Maybe Philly can take a little solace in that, take away the turnovers and Philly wins. Odd though, this was the first redzone turnover all season for McNabb .. I think the SB pressure got him.. his passes were high, he wasn't on. NE did a great job rushing from the outside to keep him bottled up. Note the other big defeat for Philly was to Pitt -- also a 3-4 team.

Let's look at the stats --

Philly 373 yds passing - 45yds rushing (remember my stat for if you throw for over 300 & run less than 100) ....

Philly had more plays, more yards, more passing yards, more first downs, better 3rd down %, etc... but the lost the turnover battle, hence they lost the game.

Then also note that NE adjusted at half time and Philly didn't adjust to that until NE had 14 points ... that hurt Philly bad -- hats off to Belichick for his superior coaching and NE for playing a solid fundamental game... run the ball and play good defense, that will get you Superbowl rings every time.

But if it was a money call -- NE didn't cover and I won a few $$ -- that takes the sting out somewhat. :D

Tom Mullane
02-08-2005, 8:59 AM
The Vikings
OH SORRY.. that's next year

Jeff Sudmeier
02-08-2005, 9:27 AM
The Vikings
OH SORRY.. that's next year

Hehe What they aren't going to start out on fire next year and then fizzle again?? I'll wait till I see it...
:D :o

Jerry Olexa
02-08-2005, 11:42 PM
Tom and Jeff...Vikings?? Maybe if they get rid of R. Moss.

Tim Are you gloating over the victory? or quietly accepting a close win? :) Anyway, great team and great coach and pretty good game!!

Tim Morton
02-09-2005, 6:57 AM
Tim Are you gloating over the victory? or quietly accepting a close win? Anyway, great team and great coach and pretty good game!!

It was a quiet celebration...no gloating. Its funny now to read all the talk of Mcnabb feeling ill in the huddle and not getting the job done because of that. He threw some pretty sweeet passes late int he 4th.....that fact of the matter is he is not all that good of a QB. Yes he rang up some yds against the pats...but it takes more than that to win the SB.

And Michael's comments about turnovers I heard the same against indy and pitt...I wish someone would spin it in a way that would actually credit the pats for causing the tunrovers rather than say that if the eagles didn't run the ball over they would have won..well if mcnabb had thrown 5 TD passes they would have won too... :D

Glenn Clabo
02-09-2005, 7:34 AM
well if mcnabb had thrown 5 TD passes they would have won too... :D
Tim...
Ain't it amazing? If they only...if we only...if...if...if. Brady is 9 and 0 in the play offs...if only he was as good as all those other overpaid whiners he'd be...?

By the way...We've been watching the replay of the ALCS and we still are worried the Sox are going to lose it.

Jerry Olexa
02-09-2005, 1:42 PM
GLENN Great avatar and Great Pic of Brady!! Congrats on a big victory !! None of these things happened when I lived there...

Tim Morton
02-09-2005, 5:44 PM
By the way...We've been watching the replay of the ALCS and we still are worried the Sox are going to lose it.

ME TOO!! I thought for sure they were going to throw Roberts out at second and sweep them in 4 :D Don't tell me how it turns out..I think they can win the thing!!!

Michael Cody
02-10-2005, 11:09 AM
It was a quiet celebration...no gloating. Its funny now to read all the talk of Mcnabb feeling ill in the huddle and not getting the job done because of that. He threw some pretty sweeet passes late int he 4th.....that fact of the matter is he is not all that good of a QB. Yes he rang up some yds against the pats...but it takes more than that to win the SB.

And Michael's comments about turnovers I heard the same against indy and pitt...I wish someone would spin it in a way that would actually credit the pats for causing the tunrovers rather than say that if the eagles didn't run the ball over they would have won..well if mcnabb had thrown 5 TD passes they would have won too... :D

Actually I don't see it as spin -- the interceptions were gifts, McNabb threw bad balls where they shouldn't have been. Was because of the Pat's defense, who knows. But the Fumble -- that was created by the PAT's .. they took it away. I guess you phrase it as NE won the turnover battle and won the game if that makes anyone more happy. Since I am Detroit Lions Fan -- condolences accepted -- the game here is more fun & stats to me... predicting the spread. That last Philly Touchdown cost a lot of people a lot of money.

As to the stats, I was showing how you use them to predict point spread. Being a Fantasy baseball nut -- I am into stats for all sports. Football stats are more esoteric than baseball, more team oriented. It's pretty amazing how they track -- hence the 300 yards passing w/under 100 yds running stats. Indoor teams playing outdoors, etc.

NE won the game in the 3rd quarter -- that is all there is too it. Philly didn't adjust, NE did -- It was a failure of the Philly defense to handle them that I was disappointed in. But then I could talk stats and game strategies all day ... it's still comes down to only one stat -- who's ahead with the gun goes off. On that measure, NE is the best team since Dallas in the early Ninety's... I put them ahead of Dallas personally, but I don't think in terms of comparative teams, they are the equal of Pittsburgh or San Fran ... in their dynasties, just look at the Hall or Fame talents on those teams. I really am curious to see how next year goes when the coordinators are all new .. is it Belichick or the system or the coordinators that make the team .. ought to be fun to watch which is the only real stat we who watch need to worry 'bout ... Maybe the Lions will win -- but them those snowballs in H*LL don't show up to often.

Jerry Olexa
02-10-2005, 12:18 PM
Its funny now to read all the talk of Mcnabb feeling ill in the huddle and not getting the job done

Morning papers quoted McNabb as saying he was NOT ill and it was his fault/responsibility that he didn't get it done!! Amazing admission in today's world of R. Moss,etc