PDA

View Full Version : What to do with this tree?

Keith E Byrd
05-02-2011, 10:52 AM
I have an old Cherry tree in my back yard with a large burl at the base. The tree has seen better years and needs some serious trimming or removal. I am thinking about cutting this burl off and cleaning up the tree for now. What advice do you have on how I should go about this project?
I outlined the area in black.

John Keeton
05-02-2011, 11:09 AM
Keith, you just never know what is inside a piece like this until you cut into it. But, I would suspect that this piece is pretty decayed in the middle, and while it appears to have some gnarly wood, it isn't a typical burl that might exhibit rays and eyes. Nonetheless, it could be some beautiful wood! As far as harm to the tree, I can't speak to that - not an arborist by any measure! I would have to think that the disease probably goes beyond just this part of the tree, though.

David DeCristoforo
05-02-2011, 11:20 AM
Cut out the burl and send it to Dr Keller. He loves turning through a hail of wood shrapnel!

Keith E Byrd
05-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Keith, you just never know what is inside a piece like this until you cut into it. But, I would suspect that this piece is pretty decayed in the middle, and while it appears to have some gnarly wood, it isn't a typical burl that might exhibit rays and eyes. Nonetheless, it could be some beautiful wood! As far as harm to the tree, I can't speak to that - not an arborist by any measure! I would have to think that the disease probably goes beyond just this part of the tree, though.

Thanks John - I was hoping the burl would be worth turning - I will try to cut it off this weekend. I'm not too concerned about saving the tree- my guess is it will come down this year or next at the latest.

Dick Wilson
05-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Hi Keith, Hmmm, well you could always cut off the burl and drop it off the next time you are in GR.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D In all seriousness, if the tree was straight vertical I would say cut off the burl, seal it up real good and see what happens. Not being an expert on tree cutting I suspect cutting off the burl might weaken the base even more. With a tree leaning that much it very well might put more stress on the trunk and come down anyway in a big blow. You still remember where my house is right?;););)

Keith E Byrd
05-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Hi Keith, Hmmm, well you could always cut off the burl and drop it off the next time you are in GR.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D In all seriousness, if the tree was straight vertical I would say cut off the burl, seal it up real good and see what happens. Not being an expert on tree cutting I suspect cutting off the burl might weaken the base even more. With a tree leaning that much it very well might put more stress on the trunk and come down anyway in a big blow. You still remember where my house is right?;););)

Are you suggesting I drive over with some cherry from the tree that falls when I cut the burl off?

John Keeton
05-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Are you suggesting I drive over with some cherry from the tree that falls when I cut the burl off?Keith, I am pretty sure that is what Dick is saying. In fact, you might want security lights on the tree - Dick has been known to prowl at night looking for leaning trees!!:D

Keith E Byrd
05-02-2011, 1:18 PM
Keith, I am pretty sure that is what Dick is saying. In fact, you might want security lights on the tree - Dick has been known to prowl at night looking for leaning trees!!:D

I am not surprised - when I visited him he told me a story about a big maple that somebody brought to him - do you think that might be suspect?:D

Dick Wilson
05-02-2011, 2:11 PM
Noooooooo, far be it for me to be that blatant Keith :D:D:D

Dick Wilson
05-02-2011, 2:16 PM
Wrong John!!!! By the time night rolls around I am so tired all I want to do is hunker down in my easy chair. Besides that, I am of the age where "prowling" is a long distant memory. Furthermore that was a true story I told you Keith. Would I lie to you, particularly on our first meeting????????

Keith E Byrd
05-02-2011, 2:18 PM
Noooooooo, far be it for me to be that blatant Keith :D:D:D

Well, if I get anything worthwhile out of that tree I will share some with you!;) :D:D