PDA

View Full Version : Carob Pot

Hayes Rutherford
05-02-2011, 8:22 AM
A good friend of mine shared some carob a couple of months ago and even though I don't normally purchase my turning wood, I would consider buying carob. It is a pleasure to turn and what was given to me was full of hidden bark inclusions and points of interest. Too bad it doesn't grow in my neighborhood. In the next couple of weeks I plan to turn more jar or pot forms so I am curious what you all think about this form.
About 8 inches in diameter finished with WOP. Sorry about the piece of pipe that was placed to keep the position.

Steve Vaughan
05-02-2011, 9:00 AM
I think you did an outstanding job with that. That's a beautiful wood and you brought it out well with your form!

John Keeton
05-02-2011, 9:02 AM
Hayes, a round of applause on the form!! I love the rolled rim, and the placement of the waist on this one is perfect!! And, another vote for the carob! I have not turned any, nor seen any, but this piece is certainly beautiful.

Nice piece of pipe, too!

Andrew Gibson
05-02-2011, 9:03 AM
I really like the form. I would have guessed it was cherry, the color is very nice.

Jim Burr
05-02-2011, 9:16 AM
That is a great shape Hayes! Oddly enough, I really like the foot treatment...dunno why, just do. Great job on some tough wood

David Reed
05-02-2011, 9:21 AM
this is a form I don't see much of and I like it very much, especially the rim detail. I am big fan of inclusions and voids - nice wood and I like what you did with it.

Allan Ferguson
05-02-2011, 9:27 AM
A very nice form and I really like the wood.

David E Keller
05-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Nice, Hayes. The bead at the rim is a great touch. I like this form a lot, but I also like the variation where the neck is pinched in to a deep cove and the mouth flares out... Something to think about on another piece. Thanks for sharing. The only carob I've turned was dry pen blanks, but it didn't have nearly the color of the piece you've shown.

Dan Forman
05-02-2011, 2:31 PM
Very nice form and love the color. Maybe you should drive over to Spain and bring back a dump trailer load of carob?

Dan

Michael James
05-02-2011, 2:52 PM
Really nice, and nicely done piece. I think the form highlights the character of the wood or vice - versa.

Steve Schlumpf
05-02-2011, 3:11 PM
Hayes - pretty wood for sure but maybe its because I have been doing this for a little while now or something but the first thing I notice is form. This form works and works well! It has a very organic/natural feel to it - something along the lines of a bag of sand or a balloon filled with water - in that the curve only flairs enough to contain what's inside! Very nice and not that easy to create! The rolled rim is a nice touch that softens the piece by giving it that hand-made look of early pottery.

Again - this is very nice! Looking forward to seeing whats next!

Ron Stadler
05-02-2011, 4:45 PM
Sure looks nice to me Hayes, Iv'e never heard of carob but I wouldn't mine having a chunk myself now.:)

Baxter Smith
05-02-2011, 8:28 PM
Great looking pot Hayes! The rim and curves are very attractive. Every time I see a somewhat similar shape in a picture I think it would be fun to try. Just can't seem to remember it when I am at the lathe!