PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Maple Bowl.

Stephen Walker
05-02-2011, 7:44 AM
Well, I've managed a few hours per week at turning for the past month, and finally feel like I've made something worth posting. This is a piece of silver maple that I had split in half, anchorsealed, put back together and threw on the wood rack last fall. Just a plain old piece of maple. Last weekend I was looking for something to start on and had to pry the two halves apart, as I had inadvertantly "glued" them together with the anchor seal. The piece had absolutely amazing spalt lines. So here's the bowl I managed to turn. About 8" x 3.5" and 5/16 thick finished with 4 coats of DO.

193458 193459

I had alot of problems with tear out, but after a long chat with David Keller, decided that I'm probably not visiting the grinder near often enough. I'm gonna have to get better at that. Any comments and critques are needed and welcomed at this point

Steve

John Keeton
05-02-2011, 7:49 AM
Stephen, whatever recipe/process you used on that maple - do it again!!! Great spalting, and congrats on a great bowl, too!

bob svoboda
05-02-2011, 8:55 AM
That is some wild spalting! Nice bowl.

David Reed
05-02-2011, 9:27 AM
You need to document the conditions and time of cooking in the woodpile as this spalting is stunning. It can require very sharp instruments to contain the tear out and even then often frustrating. You seem to have mastered that problem. Keep it up.

Richard Jones
05-02-2011, 9:35 AM
You need to document the conditions and time of cooking in the woodpile as this spalting is stunning.....

and tell us HOW.....................:)

gorgeous, great shape, thanks for sharing.

Rich

David E Keller
05-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Great job, Steve! That form is pure, and the wood is outstanding... I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with next. You need to tuck in to that stack of ambrosia maple...

Stephen Walker
05-02-2011, 10:15 AM
You need to tuck in to that stack of ambrosia maple...[/QUOTE]

David,
That's on my agenda for this afternoon. The chain saw is coming out.

To everyone else, thanks for the comments, I do appreciate it.

As to a secret formula... all I can say is it was pure dumb luck, though I am going to try to replicate it.

Steve Schlumpf
05-02-2011, 8:00 PM
Love the wood! Seriously doesn't get much better than that! Nice work!

Baxter Smith
05-02-2011, 8:04 PM
Great zone lines on that bowl. Good luck trying to duplicate it! You could sell the secret to more than a few creekers!

David DeCristoforo
05-02-2011, 8:07 PM
Better not let on where this pile of wood is. It might disappear in the night. That is some wicked spalting. The bowl, as has been said already is "pure". Very fine piece of work all around.

John Hart
05-02-2011, 8:24 PM
Geez Stephen....Dumb Luck? Sheesh....that's drop dead gorgeous. Nice work on the bowls too!!

Michelle Rich
05-03-2011, 5:43 AM
Ol' mom nature, gave you a gorgeous piece of wood..you turned it perfectly.

Roger Chandler
05-03-2011, 6:52 AM
hubba, hubba, hubba.............liking that wood! Nice bowls!