PDA

View Full Version : Shell Form

Johnny Taylor
05-02-2011, 6:23 AM
I've had this idea drawn out for a while. This is my second ever attempt at carving a spiral, the first one when I did it,I didn't have all the tools needed and it showed! This one however went remarkably well, the inside is rough as a badgers whiskers as I was considering it an experiment and never expected it to work! Its a 4 spiral twist,textured with the pyrography machine, dyed, slight guilding and oiled. Its made from Elm and its 7" long. Its displayed on a piece of coral rock. There is a more detailed explanation on my blog(linked in my profile).
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/johnnyjtaylor/woodturnings/shellform009a.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/johnnyjtaylor/woodturnings/shellform001a.jpg

Comments and critiques appreciated.

Michelle Rich
05-02-2011, 6:30 AM
hey Johnny. I love spiral forms. this is quite good for only your second one. Hope you bless us with more in the future. Very interesting & lovely

John Keeton
05-02-2011, 6:47 AM
Great work, Johnny! I love the texture and gilding on this one, and you have done an excellent job with the carving - very organic looking, and a refreshing change from the smooth work often seen. Looks quite at home on the corral!

Johnny Taylor
05-02-2011, 3:17 PM
Thanks Michelle and John. I was really pleased with how the carving came out.

Steve Schlumpf
05-02-2011, 4:16 PM
That's really cool! Love the texture! Nice work on the carving as well!

Scott Hackler
05-02-2011, 4:19 PM
Very cool. I love textured, pyro'd and carved pieces. Thanks for sharing.

Johnny Taylor
05-05-2011, 7:55 AM
Steve, Scott, thanks for the comments :) I really liked doing the carving, its something I want to do more of.

David E Keller
05-05-2011, 8:38 AM
Very cool! I love the way the spiral extends to the opening and alters the otherwise 'round hole'. Neat stuff!

Bernie Weishapl
05-05-2011, 9:50 AM
That is a cool piece. I really like the carving and texture of it.

John W Dixon
05-05-2011, 7:02 PM
Neat piece. Looks like you could really take this in a lot of different ways. Keep it up!