PDA

View Full Version : Lasering hardened epoxy resin?

Andrew Pomeroy
05-02-2011, 1:58 AM
Hey guys,
My university has several laser cutting machines that I've had the pleasure of experimenting with for the past year and a half, during which time I've tried a lot of crazy things. People using the equipment, are, of course, expected to be very mindful of the materials that they engrave or cut into.
I've taken a particular liking to acrylic as a medium, often with which I'll combine epoxy resin after it's been cut to great effect. What I'm thinking of doing in this case, though, would involve bonding two pieces of acrylic with epoxy resin and then cutting through both pieces at once. I'm wondering if the small amount of epoxy resin that would be cut through would cause any problems in terms of emissions, or whether it would cut cleanly similar to the acrylic.
To elaborate: I'd like to sandwich two differently-colored sheets of 1/8" thick acrylic together, with epoxy resin as the adhesive, so as to create a 1/4" thick sheet of a different color on each side. Cutting shapes out of this composite sheet, then, would produce a pretty cool effect on the edges in particular, I imagine. If resin were to not be an option, I would most likely opt for the water-thin acrylic solvent adhesive method, though it is much more difficult to get a clean-looking bond, especially over such a large surface area, when working with transparent acrylics.
If you guys could advise me on any of this I'd love to hear what you have to say. Thanks,
-Andrew

Zsolt Paul
05-02-2011, 2:25 AM
You should have no problems, although you probably wont get the polished edge that you do on the acrylic.

Dan Hintz
05-02-2011, 6:42 AM
No problems, but I would suggest the solvent, not epoxy...

George M. Perzel
05-02-2011, 8:44 AM
Try IPS Weld-On #16- clear, transparent glue made for acrylic.
Best Regards;
George
Laserarts

Martin Boekers
05-02-2011, 9:38 AM
Check these guys out, they have a nice selection of acrylics.

Acrilex

Here is a product they make similar to what you are looking for.

http://platform.ak.fbcdn.net/www/app_full_proxy.php?app=6009294086&v=1&size=o&cksum=d65cfc146589e292a617d72da6539446&src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.exceleratedperformance.com%2F facebook_images%2FbeachGlass_revealAd_before1.JPG

Richard Rumancik
05-02-2011, 1:53 PM
. . . If [epoxy] resin were to not be an option, I would most likely opt for the water-thin acrylic solvent adhesive method, though it is much more difficult to get a clean-looking bond, especially over such a large surface area, when working with transparent acrylics.

The epoxy is a thermoset (it won't melt with heat after setting) so it will laser by thermal degradation (burning) vs. vaporization for the acrylic. It will attenuate the beam somewhat. Now perhaps if the adhesive was only a few thousandths thick maybe you could get through it but it will have an effect. You are worried about getting a clear bond with transparent acrylics but how would epoxy be any easier to achive a bubble-free bond? I assume you are talking about clear epoxy here - they exist but are not as common. It woun't be easy to get an invisible/consistent epoxy bond either in my opinion.

Perhaps call your local Loctite rep and see what they suggest. The rep might be willing to give you a few suggestions.

Perhaps there is some way to apply pressure to the two sheets while bonding to help remove bubbles or inconsistencies. There might be a solution that uses UV curing that would work (if the materials are not opaque).

Martin Boekers
05-02-2011, 4:19 PM
Just some thoughts for future projects Krylon Fusion spray paint is great they have metalic colors
and works wekk with the laser and acrylic.

A neat effect is to spray the backside of an acrylic sheet with a color, laser deep through it
then spray agiain with a different color.

Only you imagination will limit you with acrylic.