PDA

View Full Version : Old Dry Mesquite

Kathy Marshall
05-02-2011, 1:42 AM
My very 1st wood haul was a truckload of mesquite from my sister. When I started turning and was desperate for some wood, she offered it up if I wanted to come load it. This was from a tree they had cut down about 4-5 years ago, just cut up into logs then piled up to dry for firewood. So it had been sitting out in the sun for a few years and was dry and cracked but I loaded up all that would fit in my truck.
I was able to turn a few things from it and then I found my green wood supplier, so the dry stuff has just been sitting in a pile.
Included in the load was the base of the trunk (about 24") which was a crotch piece. My sister had asked that I cut a slab from the bottom for her if I ever found a way to cut it (this was before I got the chainsaw). So today as I was walking to the shop, the base piece called to me. I figured today would be as good a day as any to cut that slab for her.
The bark has long ago fallen away. Sure is an ugly thing.
This is the bottom after I cut the slab off (don't think the slab is going to be much good for her, but we'll see).
I cut it in half right between the 2 trunks (it had already cracked most of the way through).

There are some cracks, but fairly minor considering how it's been stored. I cut off a couple blanks and will probably cut some more tomorrow, then I'll see what's hiding in one of the blanks.
The other blank is going on a trip tomorrow :eek: so maybe someone else will be able to show what it's hiding :D

John Keeton
05-02-2011, 7:01 AM
Kathy, I bet you make something wonderful from it! Sure is going to be quite different than turning that wet wood!!

David E Keller
05-02-2011, 8:20 AM
Interesting stuff, Kathy. I've turned a bit of green mesquite which is quite nice... I've turned a little dry Mesquite which is really dusty! Hopefully, the new home for one of those chunks has a dust collector.

David Reed
05-02-2011, 9:34 AM
Now there are some big messy looking voids! I'm sure you can pull it off if anyone can. Never turned the stuff - not much growing in the NW