PDA

View Full Version : Hand Power Planer

Bernie Weishapl
02-03-2005, 9:35 PM
Was wondering what the thoughts are on a power hand planer. I did quite a bit of research and found the Black & Decker was given some fairly high marks along with some high praise from users. I buy mostly 1/2", 3/4" and 13/16" wood that is S2S or S4S. I do mostly small projects but at times have glued two pieces together. Sometimes they come out slightly uneven and it would be nice not to have to sand so much. I don't have the room for the big planers which I would like to purchase when I retire or if I would quit doing my clock repair work I would have room. But for now would like your opinions on these hand planers. I have checked several out and for the prices they want for some of them I might just as well buy the big one. The Black & Decker is $70 which would is a good price range for me right now. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bernie

Jim Becker
02-03-2005, 10:58 PM
Bernie, if you are talking about a hand-held power planer, these are chiefly designed as an alternative to a hand-plane for carpentry, etc. They are wonderful for trimming doors, but difficult to use for "precision" work. You cannot thickness with them with any guarantee of keeping a constant thickness, too...they are more like a jointer in that respect. You might want to consider a nice, decent quality block plane for cleaning up on the work you describe. They are an essential for the shop, IMHO, and mine is perhaps the most-used tool I have outside of my big, bad power machines.

Charles McKinley
02-04-2005, 3:09 AM
Hi Bernie,

I picked up a B&D at their outlet store near me. It was refurbished. It cuts at least 1/64 deeper on one side than the other. It is great for trimming a proud stud or a door but a good handplane will be far more useful for what you want to do.

How wide of pieces are you working with? The performax 10-20 sander might be just the ticket for what you need to do. Unfortunately it is more $$$, ouch $500.(tool crib)

Frank Pellow
02-04-2005, 8:17 AM
I have a Ryobi power planer (cost about $70) and it is a good tool for rough carpentry. But, I would never use it for cabinet making.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-04-2005, 8:34 AM
As others have said... not a tool for fine woodworking. I used to make a lot of rustic furniture. (Read not refined :) ) Log furniture mainly. In this job, the key is to make the wood look natural and leave the defects. The hand power planner works great in this aspect. When I moved on to trying to make more refined furniture, the power planer started collecting dust.

It is a super handy tool, just not for what you describe.

The way that I get rid of that glue line is to use a belt sander. First use it at a 45 degree angle accross the grain, to flatten the two boards and then with the grain to remove the sanding marks.

Works great!

Keith Christopher
02-04-2005, 11:32 AM
I've seen these used to inital surface large hardwood slabs, and I have used mine for roughing close to a line then finishing with a hand place. In lieu of using a belt sander. but it mostly sits in the box as stated before, not too good for fine work.

Keith

Bernie Weishapl
02-04-2005, 8:34 PM
Thank you all very much for your insight. I do have several hand planes and do use them. Will leave the planer at the store. I appreciate all your input.

Bernie