PDA

View Full Version : Siberian Elm HF

Kathy Marshall
05-02-2011, 12:25 AM
This is the little brother to the other Elm HF and the last of the elm (enough scraps left to make some pen blanks).
I turned this one face grain. It doesn't have the figure of the last one, but it still has nice grain and color. 5" x 5 1/2" with just a coat of BLO so far.
193445 193444 193441

193443 193442

Thanks for looking!
As always comments and critiques are welcome.

Sid Matheny
05-02-2011, 12:30 AM
I love it! Real nice grain pattern, shape and finish.

Sid

Scott Hackler
05-02-2011, 12:31 AM
Real nice Kathy. I love the form and the wood....well I LOVE siberian elm. We have a little of it around here but I never seem to find it at the local limb dump.

Blo sure brings the siberian elm to life, huh? Keep up the good work.

John Keeton
05-02-2011, 6:51 AM
Kathy, this is another winner!! I hate to see you finish up the elm - you have been doing such beautiful pieces with it. That stuff really finishes well - great job sanding, and the BLO really works on the elm.

Bob Rotche
05-02-2011, 7:50 AM
To my eye, the form is perfect and good form trumps "flashy" wood every time. Just makes you want to pick it up and hold it. What do you use for hollowing? I really want to start doing these forms and have not been happy with my Sorby swan neck tool. Just blew the budget on a mustard monster (should be here any day now!) so can't justify a Monster hollowing rig just yet.

bob svoboda
05-02-2011, 8:54 AM
I like that a lot, Kathy.

David Reed
05-02-2011, 9:24 AM
Lovely detail- looks like it would be soft to hold. Very pleasing shape and the finish is perfect.

charlie knighton
05-02-2011, 9:27 AM
very nice....

Jim Burr
05-02-2011, 10:25 AM
I'm really drawn to the finish on this Kathy...really brings out the best in the grain!

Steve Schlumpf
05-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Very pretty turning! Absolutely love the form! You sure took to this hollowing stuff in a hurry! Very nice work! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

Dan Forman
05-02-2011, 1:14 PM
Kathy---That's another beauty! You have been really cranking out some nice pieces.

Dan

Ron Stadler
05-02-2011, 1:59 PM
What a little beauty, I really love the form on this one and the wood is just beautiful, very nice finish also.

Michael James
05-02-2011, 2:09 PM
Love everything about it. Very nice job as usual.
mj

Baxter Smith
05-02-2011, 8:30 PM
Another great shape out of that pretty wood. It has a warmth to it I really like!

John Hart
05-02-2011, 8:46 PM
Well Kathy, I searched through the internet and all the resources I tend to rely....and it's unanimous, this form is perfect. Graceful lines, dead-on proportions...and it doesn't fall over or nuthin'. Not to mention some pretty beautiful wood. Well done I tell ya...well done. ;)

Bernie Weishapl
05-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Kathy that is a beautiful piece. Love the wood and form is spot on. Really well done.

David E Keller
05-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Sweet! Your last couple of forms have been real knockouts! I hate to hear the elm is gone 'cause I sure have enjoyed seeing what you've done with it.

Seth Poorman
05-02-2011, 11:26 PM
Good job!!! I love it...

Doug W Swanson
05-02-2011, 11:34 PM
Another great piece, Kathy! You sure are busy in the shop!

Kathy Marshall
05-03-2011, 4:18 AM
Thanks for the nice comments everyone! I'm very happy with how the elm pieces turned out and glad I had the opportunity to turn them (thanks Allen!)

To my eye, the form is perfect and good form trumps "flashy" wood every time. Just makes you want to pick it up and hold it. What do you use for hollowing? I really want to start doing these forms and have not been happy with my Sorby swan neck tool. Just blew the budget on a mustard monster (should be here any day now!) so can't justify a Monster hollowing rig just yet.

Thanks Bob! I picked up a Jamieson Hollowing rig at the Desert Woodturners Roundup in February. I have been very happy with it and don't think I would ever go back to hand held hollowing. The only downside to the Jamieson is that you can't hollow through a very small/tiny hole, although it's not a big deal for me, I don't mind having openings big enough to stick a finger or two in lol.

Sweet! Your last couple of forms have been real knockouts! I hate to hear the elm is gone 'cause I sure have enjoyed seeing what you've done with it.

Thanks David! I'm sorry the elm is gone too, but on the bright side there's always something new waiting just around the corner!