PDA

View Full Version : Angels and a New Baby

Curt Fuller
05-01-2011, 10:53 PM
I've really been slacking on my turning for the last while. But I have a demo coming up for our club and I'm supposed to do a Christmas ornament. Our club does a tree every year for a charity auction that's become quite a big deal so they're trying to get the members going on ornaments now so we don't have to push so hard when Christmas time hits. So, I decided to try something new (for me). I've seen these ornament before but unfortunately I don't remember who did them so I can't give credit. But they aren't my original idea, just my version. They're about 3.5"-5" tall. The one on the left was the prototype and I haven't put a hook to hang it yet. But they could even be free standing if you wanted. Two are maple bodies, one with magnolia wings, the other walnut wings. The other two are fruit cherry. The wing is just a small shallow bowl notched out and pinned to the body with a small peg.
193436 193435

And then we have a new baby in the house, a big part of the reason I haven't turned much. She's been here about 3 weeks now. Really having a lot of fun with her so far. She's a Labradoodle, standard poodle mom, lab dad, pretty goofy looking mutt. But she's pretty much running the place already.
Meet Gertie!

David Reed
05-01-2011, 11:15 PM
I like the knockout angels you produced but the goofy Gertie takes the stage. Labradoodles are wonderful and very smart dogs. You will have a great time with her. Just be sure you train her and not the converse.

Michael James
05-01-2011, 11:43 PM
Nice angels and look like a good Christmas holiday thought! I occasionally build feeding stations for friends pets, and I was asked to build one for "Elmo" who is related to your girl there. Elmo is the shrek of the dog world, and you are probably going to have a large animal there. Good luck and thanks for posting.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-01-2011, 11:51 PM
Curt....the angels are beautiful but Gertie could own my heart! What a gorgeous dog. Now that we are both retired, maybe I can convince the LOML we need another dog or two.

Tim Thiebaut
05-02-2011, 12:52 AM
OK those angels are cool!! That is such a great idea, and they came out really well. And love your dog to. I already have 4 shelties so I dont need anymore here.

John Keeton
05-02-2011, 7:06 AM
Great work on the angels, Curt, and that is going to be a good demo subject. The prototype wood combo is my favorite, but all are nice. Gertie, however, overshadows your turnings!! Beautiful markings on her face.

John Hart
05-02-2011, 8:06 AM
Howdy Gertie!!! Cool lookin' pooch Curt!!! We just got a new addition ourselves yesterday.....a puppy to take away the heartbreak of a teen girl learning what life is all about. :)

David E Keller
05-02-2011, 8:26 AM
I still maintain that you're the ornament king! This batch is really nice.

The real beauty is that pup! It's hard to beat a good dog, and Gertie looks like a sweetheart. What is it that they say about dogs and their owners?

Jim Burr
05-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Those are so Cool!!! May have to swipe....uhhh, borrow that idea. Gratz on the new addition!! I love baby pictures

Steve Schlumpf
05-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Curt - have fun with your demo! I am know your members will love it!

Gertie sure projects a lot of personality! I bet you are having a blast having a baby in the family again! Enjoy!

Baxter Smith
05-02-2011, 8:34 PM
Great looking ornaments! Cute dog too! A neighbor in Maine has one that is a little less than a year old. What a bouncing bundle of energy!