PDA

View Full Version : Walker Turner BandSaw 14’’ 3200 Series

richard poitras
05-01-2011, 9:47 PM
Does anyone have one of these saws or know much about this model only? I have a chance to buy one or possible trade my 14’’ Delta band saw for it. I have a Laguna 18’’ for re-sawing so I am only looking at small curvy work with his saw. I am not sure how well this saw would work with thin 1/8’ or ¼’’blades or how well it performs. I am concerned about the guilds on the saw which are the originals from what I can tell from the pictures. Not sure if you can upgrade them or not or if you need to. The wheels on the saw have milling on them which I would assume is for the balance of the wheels and I am not sure if it came that way from the factory. The saw runs but the guy has no blades so you can’t tell how well it tracks or runs under a lode. It has the original motor as well. The saw has this number on it 20774T84432 and it says Custom Built -Plainfield NJ. Here is a picture of the saw I have a lot more but here is something to go on. Any help from the old Iron crowd would be helpful.

Thanks Richard

http://images.craigslist.org/3n63o53la5V35Z35Q6b51a8bb2737b878112a.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3n73o93pd5V65T25X4b5163dc2555f14c1ea9.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3n23kd3l85O45W45X3b51459f227b6ac81ab2.jpg

David Kumm
05-01-2011, 11:21 PM
That looks like a pretty nice old WT. Is it the wood-metal 3220 or the wood 3210? The 3220 had a gear lever in back with multiple pulleys and is the more desirable. The base looks good, bearings can be replaced. Post on OWWM.org and you will get lots of info. WT is generally considered a step up from Delta- if it runs well. Dave

Mike Wilkins
05-02-2011, 8:55 AM
You need to buy this machine. Small things like blade guides and blades can easily be replaced. This is an all cast-iron machine; even the doors. There is an article in a recent past issue of FineWoodworking in which the writer rebuilt a bandsaw just like this one. He praised the solid cast iron build quality and the fact that no one makes an all cast iron like this any more. Old iron is good.

richard poitras
05-02-2011, 9:27 AM
Mike do you know what past issue of FineWoodworking the article was in?

Thanks Richard

John Cooper2
05-02-2011, 1:08 PM
I just got one just like this, I will have to fabricate a top axle (common part that breaks), but they are great saws all cast iron and a nice size. got this one for smaller work, my main saw is a 27" 100 year old chunk of cast iron.

Parts are pretty much none available, but great machines.

Don Jarvie
05-02-2011, 2:18 PM
Head over to OWWM.org and do a search for the model no. Also, click on the link at the top right for OWWM.com and you can search for the manual.

That'll be a nice saw once its fixed up.

Barry Mabery
05-02-2011, 2:22 PM
I own one and selected the WT 14" instead of a Delta/Rockwell 14" from a closing cabinet shop and I can definitely recommend it. However, since you already own a Delta, what's wrong with it? Aside from the mass and weight of the WT's cast iron frame and doors, for the type of work you're planning, the Delta can do anything the Walker can do, plus you have a wider choice of after market parts. That said, if the price is right and you have the space, then go ahead and buy it, try it and see if it's a keeper.

richard poitras
05-02-2011, 6:56 PM
I own one and selected the WT 14" instead of a Delta/Rockwell 14" from a closing cabinet shop and I can definitely recommend it. However, since you already own a Delta, what's wrong with it? Aside from the mass and weight of the WT's cast iron frame and doors, for the type of work you're planning, the Delta can do anything the Walker can do, plus you have a wider choice of after market parts. That said, if the price is right and you have the space, then go ahead and buy it, try it and see if it's a keeper.

Berry basically the same reason you took it over the Delta when you had your pick :) and there is nothing wrong with my currant saw so that’s way I am still on the fence with this one. What would be a good price for something like this? Does anyone know market value? Besides what it’s worth to me.

Thanks Richard

Josiah Bartlett
05-02-2011, 7:49 PM
I've got a 16" Walker turner. My wheels have mill marks on them as well as drilled holes for balancing, so I expect that isn't unusual. The guides on these saws are steel blocks, and they track small blades very well as long as you clean them up when they wear- you need to joint the faces of the guides. The guide thrust bearings for these aren't available any more but some people have made new ones out of off-the-shelf bearings.

The Walker Turner saws are very stout as they are entirely cast iron construction. They are one piece C frame saws so you can't add a riser block, though. Make sure the table tilt mechanism isn't broken, that is really the only flaw of the WT saws. The tilt screw frame tends to break at a thin point in the casting if roughly handled. Remove the table before transport.

Salvatore Buscemi
05-02-2011, 9:02 PM
Shouldn't you be looking for one of these?http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac100/fishman76_2010/1b796c16.jpg

I have a 16" W-T too, and it is a stout saw. I assume the 14" is comparable. The guides seem to be perfectly serviceable, if the the bearings are bad, expect to pay 50-75 bucks for replacements. I think in good condition, with new bearings, belt and tires, I would pay 350-400. Deduct for anything that's missing. I paid 425 for mine, needing all those things, but it's bigger and I really wanted it.

Sal

jared herbert
05-03-2011, 8:44 AM
I would buy that saw in a minute if it was close to me. A few dollars on the price or some small parts that need to be fixed will be forgotten a few years from now after you enjoy using it all that time. and since you already have the delta saw, which is really nice, why get rid of it. remember who ever has the most toys [tool] when they die wins. Jared

Barry Mabery
05-03-2011, 9:34 AM
Price is almost totally dependent on location, condition and competition. I made sure the one I got was complete, but knew it would likely need some attention. It's in running condition with an original WT 1/2HP motor which is probably sufficient for my needs with this saw. The 14" does not have the delicate and often broken pot metal table tilt mechanism, rather it is a straight forward clamp. Not as easy to fine adjust, but it's indestructible.
Barry

richard poitras
05-03-2011, 2:14 PM
Thanks for all the tips. He is asking $400.00 or best. I am going to go look at it. The way I see it is if I pick it up I will keep my Delta and see which one I like the most. That way I am not out a small saw till I decide what one I like the best and sell the other one.

Richard

george wilson
05-03-2011, 3:04 PM
I had a 14" WT saw like that in my school shop for my first 2 years teaching. It was a fine saw,desirable even in 1964. I have stayed with my 14" old model Delta since I was 21 for my home shop saw. Nothing wrong with it either,though it does have the usual pot metal Delta parts. I have a 1950's delta 20" I hope to get fixed up this Summer. It is my favorite saw.

Barry Mabery
05-03-2011, 5:33 PM
George,
Is that the one with the "love bumps" on the doors? If so, it was also marketed under the Walker-Turner brand after Rockwell acquired them. See www.vintagemachinery.org for the 1961 WT catalog.

Richard,
I would say that's fair if the condition is really as good as the photos appear. I think you would be happy with either ...
but both is probably better.