PDA

View Full Version : Floorboard Pens

James Combs
05-01-2011, 9:02 PM
Here are some pens I made from the wood flooring shown in my recent wood gloat. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?165050-Wood-ID-Request-%28or-Stealth-Gloat%29&highlight=

All of these are from the flooring. There are two of each, one for a customer and one is spec. I gave the customer his choice of either one and kept the other.
L to R:
2 Black Titanium dressed in Asian Walnut
2 Ti. Gold dressed in Brazilian Cherry
2 Ti. Gold dressed in Tiger Wood

Here are also a couple of acrylics and a cocobolo. These are all spec. pens.
L to R:
A Gold Sierra Click dressed in Gold Swirl acrylic
A Ti Gold Slimline dressed in Cocobolo
A 2-Tone Chrome Elegant Beauty twist Sierra dressed in Gold Swirl acrylic

I had made the first Gold Swirl barrel with intention of dressing a 2-tone copper Elegant Beauty but then decide once I got the parts close to each other that it would not look as good as I had originally thought so the barrel ended up on the Chrome one.

All the wood pens are finished in 10+ coats of CA after sanding to 1500g. All of the pens have been polished with Hut's Acrylic Polish.

C&C welcomed.
Edit: BTW if you see any blue highlights in the photos it is because I forgot to turn off the shop lights.

John Keeton
05-01-2011, 9:13 PM
JD, I thought you would have some "Pallet Pens" in the group!!

Nice looking group - the cocobolo did make a nice pen, and I like the Asian walnut. However, the Jatoba made up nice, too. I have not turned any, but I understand it can be a bit hard.

Bernie Weishapl
05-01-2011, 9:20 PM
Really nice bunch of pens JD. I do like the Jatoba and the walnut.

James Combs
05-01-2011, 10:51 PM
JD, I thought you would have some "Pallet Pens" in the group!!

Nice looking group - the cocobolo did make a nice pen, and I like the Asian walnut. However, the Jatoba made up nice, too. I have not turned any, but I understand it can be a bit hard.

Thanks John. The pallet pen blanks are made up and will be turned tomorrow and will probably post them tomorrow night. I think they will be very good looking. The Jatoba is a little plain as far as I am concerned. I didn't notice any problems turning it. I like the Asian Walnut and Tigerwood better but they all seemed to turn about the same.

Really nice bunch of pens JD. I do like the Jatoba and the walnut.

Thanks Bernie, I appreciate the comments.