PDA

View Full Version : Mini Cooper Grill Badges

Steve Clarkson
05-01-2011, 8:58 PM
Apparently, a hot new craze is putting medallions on the grill of your Mini Cooper. To see examples go to: gobadges(dot)com......a 3D badge is $53!!!!

Any idea where I could source the badge holders.....specifically, the chrome one. I can only seem to find them retail for $20-30 each.

Bill Cunningham
05-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Wow! Yuppies will spend money on anything..ha..
I had a 'real' mini cooper back in the sixties.. That thing had 10" dunlop SP41 radial tread tires, (radial tread in those days meant the tread wrapped around and up part of the sides of the tire for cornering) It would top out at 135mph on the track.. That little car got me right up to the 'come down for a verbal warning' stage before they would take my license.:D.. The coopers they make today, are bigger & safer, but their like a truck compared to the originals.

Doug Griffith
05-02-2011, 12:52 AM
I've still got a 62 Morris Cooper S after 25 years that is scary quick. Super fun car.

Grill badges have been around forever. Usually cloisonne. The badge holders look to me like they are proprietary to Gobadges.

Frank Corker
05-02-2011, 6:03 AM
I've had six mini coopers over the years, still love them and despite being 6'3" the seating was comfortable. The new Mini coopers are basically BMW's and nothing like the cars of yesteryear .....sigh.

Bill Cunningham
05-03-2011, 8:48 PM
I've had six mini coopers over the years, still love them and despite being 6'3" the seating was comfortable. The new Mini coopers are basically BMW's and nothing like the cars of yesteryear .....sigh.

I'm over 6 feet myself, and what I loved about them as a teenager, when you folded the front seats forward up against the 'dashboard?' there was a heck of a lot of room in the back. You could really get comfortable watching movies at the drive-in ;=) . My Cooper's heads were polished, ported, plained, w/twin webbers.. I traded in a 58 Buck Century for it.. What a difference!

Doug Griffith
05-04-2011, 12:15 AM
[QUOTE=Bill Cunningham;1696820w/twin webbers.[/QUOTE]

Back when I built my Mini, I got a little fanatical and installed 2 twin Webers with one port blocked on each using straight manifolds instead of standard angled ones. This made a HUGE difference in performance. That and every other mod I could afford. This brings back old memories. When I restore it for the 3rd time, I'm sure the laser will weasel it's way in there some how or another.

Bill Cunningham
05-05-2011, 9:08 PM
Back when I built my Mini, I got a little fanatical and installed 2 twin Webers with one port blocked on each using straight manifolds instead of standard angled ones. This made a HUGE difference in performance. That and every other mod I could afford. This brings back old memories. When I restore it for the 3rd time, I'm sure the laser will weasel it's way in there some how or another.

The only thing that gave me problems was the horrible positioning of the Distributor. Facing the road, Right smack in the middle of the grill where it was always soaked when raining. The rubber cover usually prevented stalls and misses, but hey! Who would design something like that ? The only factory options I got, was the wooden steering wheel, and the optional 25 gallon rally tank. At the pumps, the gas jockey always ended up looking under the car to see where the gas might be going..haha I pulled the rally tank later, and re-installed the standard 5 gal.. 25 gallons was just too heavy..