PDA

View Full Version : Fruit of an ill wind ...

Kelvin Burton
05-01-2011, 4:52 PM
On Tuesday evening we had a tornado pass through close to our home and it downed 6 large trees at a friends house. 3 of these were large Chinaberry trees. I was able to get the following yesterday and there's more there if anyone is close to Van / Edom / Ben Wheeler, TX? I've also attached a picture of the only item I have previously turned from Chinaberry - it's fun wood to turn, though there's a long story to go with this piece!

cal thelen
05-01-2011, 5:00 PM
That is some pretty looking wood. got me curious as to the story behind the turned piece.

David E Keller
05-01-2011, 5:30 PM
Pretty stuff, Kelvin. Glad to hear you're OK after the 'wood fairy' went through. I've never turned chinaberry, but I like the looks of the finished piece. Looking forward to seeing some more stuff turned from it.

Jim Burr
05-01-2011, 5:49 PM
Glad you and yours weren't effected by all this...great looking wing. Hope to see more!

Don Alexander
05-01-2011, 6:02 PM
i'm sure you already know that storm downed wood can be full of cracks and stresses it would not usually have however i'd rather mention something you already know than not and have you get hurt when you go to turn it be careful please

David DeCristoforo
05-01-2011, 6:05 PM
No, no... that's the wood! The fruit is the part you're supposed to eat...

Kelvin Burton
05-01-2011, 6:09 PM
i'm sure you already know that storm downed wood can be full of cracks and stresses it would not usually have however i'd rather mention something you already know than not and have you get hurt when you go to turn it be careful please

Don, I wasn't aware of that. This tree just uprooted and fell over, as did all but one, a Hackberry, that broke higher up. I already have too much Hackberry so I'll stay away from that one! Thanks for sharing.

Steve Schlumpf
05-01-2011, 6:13 PM
Congrats on the wood Kelvin! I am sure your neighbor appreciated your assist in helping to removed the downed tree. Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Dan Forman
05-01-2011, 6:21 PM
Nice haul, pretty wood, and an interesting treatment of a near crotch. Never heard of China Berry.

Dan

John Keeton
05-01-2011, 7:24 PM
Kelvin, glad you are safe, and great haul on the wood. I have turned one piece of chinaberry, and you are right - it is a joy to turn! And, the grain and color are very nice, as well. The one bowl I did moved a little on me, but Ms. Keeton likes it. I think she likes warped stuff - that's why she keeps me around!!

Don Alexander
05-01-2011, 7:52 PM
looks like you are going to have a ball with all that turning wood :)

Bernie Weishapl
05-01-2011, 9:32 PM
Nice haul and glad you came thru fine.

Harry Robinette
05-01-2011, 9:45 PM
Kelvin
Glad you and your's are OK.Hope your friend is too, he gave ya some nice stuff and I'm sure he'll be receiving some reshaped wood back.

Baxter Smith
05-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Glad you survived unscathed and got a little bit of turning wood too!