PDA

View Full Version : Help with correctness of a Stanley No. 20 circular plane

Rob Black
05-01-2011, 12:55 PM
I've just received a Stanley No. 20. I can't find any type studies for these. It's the later type with the cast iron body japanned black. Where I'm getting stuck is that has a SW iron and the sole adjusting knob is the one that says "Victor 20". All of the pieces seem to match patina-wise, but I thought that by the SW era they would have gone to the flat top knob.

If anyone knows more about these than I do I'd appreciate the help, or point me to a type study for these.

Thanks,
Rob

Jim Koepke
05-01-2011, 1:45 PM
Howdy Rob and welcome to the Creek. Your profile does not indicate your location. Some areas have tool collectors or associations that could help dating your plane.

Pictures also help.

The only information I can offer comes from John Walter's book Antique & Collectable Tools.

The black Japanning started about 1919. The "Victor 20" was changed sometime in the 1920s.

That puts the date sometime in the 1920's.

This is the only plane to remain in the Stanley line after Victor was bought from Leonard Bailey in the late 1880s.

Many of the different planes have never had anyone make a full type study.

jtk

Rob Black
05-01-2011, 4:34 PM
Thank you Jim. So that knob and iron is a possible combination. Now I believe the plane is original, but it won't upset me if others can prove different.

Here is a picture, gleaned from the auction (plane is already at work, I'm at home, so no way to snap some more shots of it today):

Thanks for the help and the welcome; I've also filled in my profile a bit as suggested.

Rob