PDA

View Full Version : Native flute 1st

Ron Stadler
05-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Hello everyone, been gone for about 6 weeks but am back now for the time being. I picked up some work in New Madrid, Missouri and have been away from my lathe for awhile. But before I had left for New Madrid I had finished this Native American flute and never got to post it, so here it is.

It does play and all but I need someone to play it for me, I thought if I brought it out in nature I would receive some kind of inspiration from the Mother Nature and the flute playing gods but that didn't work, I still can't play "One little, two little, three little indians".:p So will probably have to pass off this flute to someone who has some musical talent.:(

Mark Hazelden
05-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Ron,

Great looking flute. I have one also that a friend made.

Don't give up on playing, it just takes practice, practice, practice. It is a great way to unwind sitting on the deck at night and playing.

There are web sites that can help with your playing.

Mark

Jake Helmboldt
05-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Ron, nice flute. I've been thinking about making one. Can you share a few details? Notably I'm wondering how to drill it out (forstner with an extension?) and how to space the holes and tune it. Any source for info that you used?

thanks, Jake

David E Keller
05-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Beautiful work, Ron. I can't help you with the flute playing, but looks like you've got the flute making part down pat.

Curt Fuller
05-01-2011, 10:57 PM
That's a beautiful flute Ron! I love the sound of those wood flutes and would like to learn to make them someday myself, along with learning how to play one. Yours is a beauty!

David Reed
05-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Lovely work Ron. Did you tune it? Was this your own calculations or did you have a plan? Would be interested in the dimensions.

Michelle Rich
05-02-2011, 6:09 AM
thanks for sharing with us..It's nice to see other items than bowls, etc. Very nifty

John Keeton
05-02-2011, 6:56 AM
I like this one! Looks ancient - good job on the finish. I am also curious as to the drilling process. Nice work, Ron!

Paul Douglass
05-02-2011, 10:54 AM
That is a very nice looking flute. I have made one and it is very rewarding to hear the sound when it is finished. I can't for two reasons, one, I can't play, no talent and two, every time I get it out the dog starts howling like I was killing him! I don't even get a note out and he starts in, same witha harmonica.

Funny, before I made one I studied the process. Watched many You Tube videos where the "white guy" made them and he would only use hand tools, to "keep it authentic". Than I purchased an instructional video made by a full blooded Native America on how to make them. He whips out his table saw, router mounted in a router table and power sander! So I made mine like the Native American showed. Much easier!

Steve Schlumpf
05-02-2011, 11:20 AM
I like it! You didn't mention what kind of wood it is or how long it is.... I have not seen one of these in person, so have no idea what a typical size would be. I do like the design and finish!

Ron Stadler
05-02-2011, 1:53 PM
The flute is roughly 18" long, it is made from some cheap poplar wood and the bird or block is made from paduuk. I used the book called the flute shop to make this flute and also purchased some more information from this site www.cherrycows.com which also has a lot of detailed information for building your own flute, so I would strongly recommend either one of these to build your first Native american flute. The process I used was making two halves and routing out the two chambers that make up the flute and then gluing the two halves together and then turn them down on the lathe and drill the finger holes, but you will get a detailed drawing and information on where to drill the hole and how to make the chambers, flue, etc.. from either one of the above manuals Iv'e posted here. It was a fun process and its really rewarding to hear it play after its all finished, so I do look forward to making and designing another one soon, to me the hardest thing on making this flute would be cutting out the flue area but after this first one I don't think I'll have any problems with the next. Just a matter of taking your time and having the right tools on hand. A good set of micro rasp files helps as well as a dremel tool with the right bit will make this process much easier, other than that it was'nt all that hard and with cheap wood your not out that much but your time so it don't hurt your pocket book that much. So my plan is to make a few cheap ones until I perfect the technique and then try some more exotic woods for the flute body and maybe some inlays. So good luck to anyone planning to build one, there really a lot of fun.

John Hart
05-02-2011, 2:14 PM
Wow...that's pretty cool Ron!! I love making musical instruments. I can't play anything that I've made, but I like looking at them and banging on them. I figure if I make a flute, I'd just attract rats. :)

Tim Thiebaut
05-02-2011, 2:26 PM
That is very nice, thanks for posting the details on this, I was curious about the process. I dont know if I will try one anytime soon but maybe someday down the road....so MANY cool things to try!

Jack Gaskins
05-02-2011, 4:34 PM
That is a very nice looking flute. I have made one and it is very rewarding to hear the sound when it is finished. I can't for two reasons, one, I can't play, no talent and two, every time I get it out the dog starts howling like I was killing him! I don't even get a note out and he starts in, same witha harmonica.

Funny, before I made one I studied the process. Watched many You Tube videos where the "white guy" made them and he would only use hand tools, to "keep it authentic". Than I purchased an instructional video made by a full blooded Native America on how to make them. He whips out his table saw, router mounted in a
router table and power sander! So I made mine like the Native American showed. Much easier!

Hey Paul, can you tell me what video you bought for making a native flute. I have been wanting to make one for a long time just can find any instructions on how. Thanks.

Roger Wilson
05-02-2011, 6:22 PM
Link to video on building a native american flute (Making The American Style Flutes) at smartflix.com (you can rent it). It looks like a very interesting project. If you look at the video bill hughes uses a device to help tune the flute so you don't need to be pitch perfect.

http://smartflix.com/store/video/5675/Making-The-American-Style-Flutes

Baxter Smith
05-02-2011, 8:14 PM
Neat looking instrument. Might be fun to make one if I knew someone who could play!

Jack Gaskins
05-02-2011, 8:53 PM
If anyone likes to listen to the Native American Flute the number one NA Flute artist IMO is R. Carlos Nakai. His flute playing is just AWESOME and he also plays with other artists to mix it up for a great southwestern sound.

Bernie Weishapl
05-02-2011, 9:56 PM
That is just pretty cool. Well done.

David E Keller
05-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Wow...that's pretty cool Ron!! I love making musical instruments. I can't play anything that I've made, but I like looking at them and banging on them. I figure if I make a flute, I'd just attract rats. :)

If you learn to attract rats, Josh Bowman will let you hang upside down from his shop door.