PDA

View Full Version : What is a fluteless gouge used for?

Jack Gaskins
05-01-2011, 11:37 AM
I am about to order some gouges and handles today from Doug Thompson and saw that he has a Fluteless Gouge. What is this tool used for and are there any videos out there I can see one in use?

Scott Hackler
05-01-2011, 11:41 AM
I would guess for a sharp (high angle) detail gouge. I will have to check those out.

Jim Burr
05-01-2011, 3:19 PM
The only pic's I found were of a Olan type tool and an almost coring type. Don't trust me...that's just what popped up.

Jim Sebring
05-02-2011, 1:33 AM
I haven't seen Doug's fluteless gouge, but it sounds like the Sorby? Spindlemaster. As the name implies, it's intended for spindle work as a sort of 'tamed' skew. I have one I get out now and then that's pretty easy to use for turning beads and such.

Jeff Nicol
05-02-2011, 7:49 AM
They work great for cutting beads and coves and also any of the spindle turning needs. Can also do some shear scraping in certain areas that some other tools won't work. One can never have enough tools, for once they are in the shop you will find the perfect use for them!

Hello my name is Jeff and I am a toolaholic,

Jeff

John Hart
05-02-2011, 7:56 AM
It's for catching long thick splinters and ramming them into your hand at high velocity. :eek:

You see...that way, when the splinter enters your hand, it's moving so fast that you don't really feel it....you just sorta stand there wondering if what just happened...really happened.

Not that this has ever happened to me! I mean, that would indicate that I was using the tool the wrong way....and I never do that. ;)

:D

Faust M. Ruggiero
05-02-2011, 8:03 AM
John,
Smack Smack....wake up. You're doing it again. Sleep talking trash. Open the windows and breathe some fresh air. You'll be OK.
faust

John Keeton
05-02-2011, 8:06 AM
I have the PSI version of the Spindlemaster, but it sounds like Doug's tool is a bowl gouge. This is the description (no pic) -

5/8 Fluteless gouge
This is the gouge that been around for years, the finish cuts inside a bowl will rival anything on the market today., This is used the same way as a bowl gouge rubbing the bevel.

Doug Thompson
05-02-2011, 10:28 AM
They have many on the market today the smaller diameters are used for spindles and this one at 5/8 diameter is used for the inside of bowls. The tool is sharpened with a large radius like a spindle gouge but at 60 degrees like a bowl gouge THEN a large secondary bevel is ground leaving only 1/8 inch of the cutting bevel... this allows clearance. The tool is used rubbing the bevel only on a push cut inside a bowl with the flat rolled over to about 45 degrees OR it can be rolled at 45 degrees in a pull cut. The cut and shavings are amazing to prevent trearout insie a bowl.

What it won't do is. This can not be used as a scraper because there is no support (it's made from round stock). It won't start a cut at the rim of the bowl like a bowl gouge, the bevel has to rub on a push cut, I will create a small 1/8 spot at the rim with a pull cut this creates enough to lay the bevel on.

Dan Forman
05-02-2011, 2:22 PM
How about a pic?

Dan

Reed Gray
05-02-2011, 2:23 PM
Yea, Doug, any pics of it in action???????? I haven't had a good excuse to buy a new tool in a while.

robo hippy

Jack Gaskins
05-02-2011, 4:28 PM
How about someone go buy one from Doug then take a video of yourself using it so the rest of us can see whats going on with this tool,,,,:).

Doug Thompson
05-02-2011, 9:59 PM
I'll try to get a few pictures in the next couple days.

Ken Whitney
05-03-2011, 9:22 AM
In Reed Gray's video on the McNaughton coring system he has a short segment on bowls. Reed shows a +- 80 degree bowl gouge (traditional grind more or less) for doing bowl bottoms. Obviously fluted, but with a relatively small bevel.

He also demonstrates using a scraper -- with the bevel rubbing -- to do the bottoms. I guess a scraper could be considered a fluteless gouge:)

I have tried to emulate Reed's technique using a scraper with the bevel rubbing and had very interesting -- but not useful -- results.

Ken

Reed Gray
05-03-2011, 12:39 PM
The scraper I used for that cut is like half of a gouge, swept back to the left side, and coming almost to a point. You work mostly towards the point so the cutting part is directly over the tool rest, and won't tip over on you. I am working on my bowl turning DVD. Maybe by the end of the year, but for sure for the AAW Symposium in San Jose next year.

robo hippy

Doug Thompson
05-04-2011, 8:48 PM
The second picture is just a basic bowl gouge and the first is the fluteless... they got reversed somehow? It's made to take a light cut rubbing the bevel, when it's ground the cutting bevel is 60 degrees with a very large secondary bevel to clear the tool. The tool can be rolled about 45 degrees or when you see those small twisted shavings come off the tool you have the right angle. This a old design that's been around for years.

Doug Thompson
05-04-2011, 8:54 PM
Just for fun :D

John Hart
05-04-2011, 9:28 PM
Hey! You found some time to turn something!! Woo Hoo!! :)

Reed Gray
05-04-2011, 9:43 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmm..... Looks kind of like a skewchigouge, but with a bowl bevel on it. I use a scraper in a similar manner, inside grind (swept back to the left), and am working closer to the tip. Hmmmmmm.... I may have to get one or two to experiment. It does give a nice high shear angle cut. Have to see how I do at the show this weekend. Hoping I can make it to the AAW Symposium.

robo hippy

Doug Thompson
05-04-2011, 10:34 PM
This is a old core from the hat days, I had my wife take the pictures but sent the pictures in a email to reduce the size... they went south after that. I like the fluteless gouge a little more open than the picture also the smaller the cutting bevel the better.