PDA

View Full Version : Limited Shop Time

Steve Braman
05-01-2011, 11:26 AM
I am limited in my shop time due to home renovations but here are a few things I worked on the last few months.

Both of the stoppers are too big, but I am beginning to learn scale. The burly one came from a piece3 of wood I actually pulled out of the woodstove this winter. Thought twicw after I tossed it in. The apple stopper came from a branch that came down in the yard last month.

This little bowl came from an ash branch that came down last fall. One of the dead ashes in the yard is covered with little burls, but my wife won't let me remove it myself due to proximity to the house and electrical wires, so I just wait for them to fall from the sky. Unfortunately by that point in time they are pretty punky.
I found this piece of maple at Rockler, and I think it was mispriced at $2.20. It is just about 8" in diammeter. The recess was a little deeper than it needed to be, so the bottom turned out a little funky. All in all I am pretty happy with it

Paul Williams
05-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Steve, I like the little ash bowl. Great looking wood. I understand about the home renovation taking a lot of time as we are also going through that. I just finished a bowl fro a friend from a similar piece of maple from Rockler. I have two more of those blanks waiting for me.

David E Keller
05-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Nicely done on all counts, Steve. That's a heck of a piece of curly maple for two bucks! I need to get one of those trees that drops burls from the sky... That's a heck of a deal.

Scott Hackler
05-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Steve that bowl is great and the shape you went with really lets the curl shine. Excellent job and I would guess that WAS mis-marked!

Steve Braman
05-01-2011, 12:12 PM
The ash tree is rapidly removing itself from the property. Unfortunatley, this means all the the burls that rain from the sky are punky junk, but fun to experiment with. Maybe I will try a white glue soak with one.
The apple tree is still alive but we may not be able to maintain her much longer, maybe these little burls will be big enough for stoppers. The big one looks hollow in the center, so might be able to get something from the left hand side. But that will be determined when the tree is beyond hope. It is at least 50' high and a key piece of our landscaping, so it will remain upright for now.