PDA

View Full Version : Elm Hollow Form

Kathy Marshall
05-01-2011, 12:30 AM
This is from the same chunk of elm that I turned the bowl from. This wood hollowed easily. I'm really liking this elm! It's got some cool copper highlights.

This is the blank I started out with, it's about 9" x 7". In raw form it just looks like a chunk of wood, just goes to prove you can't judge a book by it's cover :eek:

Here the shoulder area is hollowed and the outside shoulder area is finish turned. This is where I start shaping the outside. I'll turn the outside top half to final size and then hollow that section. Then I'll turn the outside lower half to final size and then finish hollowing.

Here it is after hollowing and ready to be parted off.

All done with a coat of BLO and wet sanded to 800. I'll finish it up with several coats of WOP. 7" x 5 1/2", 1 1/2" opening and 1/8" walls.
193341 193345 193344
193342 193340

Thanks for looking!
As always, comments and critiques are welcome.

Baxter Smith
05-01-2011, 12:35 AM
Great shape and beautiful wood Kathy! Any idea on the type of elm?

Tim Thiebaut
05-01-2011, 12:36 AM
What a nice piece Kathy, I love the form, and that finish is very nice, it almost looks translucent in some of those photos.

Scott Hackler
05-01-2011, 1:13 AM
Very nice work, Kathy. Your getting that shape down pat.

Ian Jeffcock
05-01-2011, 3:26 AM
Nice looking HF. Love the form. Great.

Dan Forman
05-01-2011, 4:46 AM
Love the form, and the figure is really interesting. Looks like it was the outside part of a crotch section. That part always reminds me of big fish scales lying one on top of another, like from a big tarpon. Beautiful piece.

Dan

John Hart
05-01-2011, 7:05 AM
Wow....beauty!! pretty dazzling piece if I do say so m'self!! :)

Dennis Ford
05-01-2011, 7:47 AM
That is my favorite style of hollow form and you got the shape just right. Very good job!

John Keeton
05-01-2011, 8:09 AM
Kathy, I am amazed at the depth of color in this elm! Just a very beautiful piece - good form, and well done!

Darren Jamieson
05-01-2011, 8:21 AM
I agree with John, I thought elm was much lighter then this. Great shape Kathy and you are bang on when you say you never know till you get into a peice what it is hiding.

bob svoboda
05-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Very nice shape to that form and interesting wood. Nicely done!

David DeCristoforo
05-01-2011, 11:13 AM
We have a tendency to want to see "exotic" woods, forgetting the simple beauty of "plain" wood. This is such a sweet piece, a great shape that showcases the beauty of wood.

David E Keller
05-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Beautiful piece, Kathy! This is among my favorite forms, and you've absolutely nailed it. I'll bet this piece in the sunshine is really stunning if your elm is anything like the stuff I get around here. This one begs to be held. Fantastic!

Hayes Rutherford
05-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Overall a quality piece of work!

Bernie Weishapl
05-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Really a beautiful HF Kathy. Really like the wood color and the form. Well done.

Dan Forman
05-01-2011, 1:24 PM
If that is like the elm I have (Siberian), it will lighten up a good bit as it dries, but still retain a nice mid-dark reddish hue.

Dan

allen thunem
05-01-2011, 1:26 PM
it isnt siberain elm it is english elm if what i was told was correct from the arborist from whom it was obtained.

allen thunem
05-01-2011, 1:28 PM
oppps i stand corrected
it is siberian so i was just informed by the same arborist
oh and by the way kathy my stuff dont come out looking that good youmust have gotten the better half of the tree
cracks and all:)
magnificent work

Michael James
05-01-2011, 3:37 PM
Very nice, all aspects! Thx for posting.
mj

Kathy Marshall
05-02-2011, 1:18 AM
Thanks everyone for all the kind comments!
I'm really liking this one and I think it may just have to stay in my personal collection! I used up the last of the elm today except for some cutoffs that will make some nice pen blanks.

Great shape and beautiful wood Kathy! Any idea on the type of elm?

Thanks Baxter! Allen says it's siberian elm and he's the source!

Beautiful piece, Kathy! This is among my favorite forms, and you've absolutely nailed it. I'll bet this piece in the sunshine is really stunning if your elm is anything like the stuff I get around here. This one begs to be held. Fantastic!

Thanks David! I'll have to try some pics in the sun when the finish is complete.

oppps i stand corrected
it is siberian so i was just informed by the same arborist
oh and by the way kathy my stuff dont come out looking that good youmust have gotten the better half of the tree
cracks and all:)
magnificent work

Thanks Allen! For the ID and the better half of the wood!

Johnny Taylor
05-02-2011, 5:23 AM
Really nice form Kathy, very elegant :) The Elm is beautiful in both colour and figure. Everything looks just right with it.

Michelle Rich
05-02-2011, 6:12 AM
By golly, I think she's got it! Grand job!

Cheryl A. Prince
05-02-2011, 6:14 AM
Kathy, Fabulous hollow form! When you're hollowing close to the bottom of your form, do you cut the outside down closer to it's finished size (but strong enough to hold the wood while you finish hollowing) or do you "guestimate" as your hollowing the bottom and then cut the outside when you've finished hollowing the inside? The bottom of my hollow forms are way chunkier that yours and I'd like to get them down to that gracious, lifting curved bottom you're so adept at! Keep up the nice work!

Steve Schlumpf
05-02-2011, 7:59 PM
Beautiful form on this one Kathy! Love the way the wood plays with the light! I've been really enjoying your hollow forms! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

Kathy Marshall
05-03-2011, 4:35 AM
Kathy, Fabulous hollow form! When you're hollowing close to the bottom of your form, do you cut the outside down closer to it's finished size (but strong enough to hold the wood while you finish hollowing) or do you "guestimate" as your hollowing the bottom and then cut the outside when you've finished hollowing the inside? The bottom of my hollow forms are way chunkier that yours and I'd like to get them down to that gracious, lifting curved bottom you're so adept at! Keep up the nice work!

Thanks Cheryl! When I get close to the bottom, if the base/foot will be small then I leave some extra and visualize the lines from the sides to the base and then use the laser to hollow to as close to the correct thickness as I can. If the base is a little bigger, say 2" or more, then I turn the bottom section to final size before hollowing.