PDA

View Full Version : Bowl 5

Matt Evans
04-30-2011, 9:17 PM
This one might actually be alright. Small maple branch, lots of mineral streaking and staining. Finish is paste wax, 1.75" tall, 4" diameter at the widest point.

I was trying to follow the suggestions made on my first and second bowls, so the hollow approximates the external shape, and the wood was much easier to work with than the root I tried last time.

Numbers 3 and 4 are in the scrap pile. Neither one of them liked the way I was chucking or holding 'em, so they jumped off the lathe multiple times, smashing themselves to bits in indignation at the cheapskate who won't buy the proper equipment to keep 'em put.

I came up with a way to "chuck" pieces in the lathe. Drill a slightly undersize hole, soak the hole in oil for an hour, then jam/thread the blank directly onto the really odd sized thread on my spindle. Then, just part off the 1' mounting hole once the bowl is done.

Ok, done spouting off. Critiques? Suggestions? Requests for me to quit posting in the turners forum?

David E Keller
04-30-2011, 10:01 PM
It'll hold soup, so you'll definitely got yourself a bowl there! I'm not sure I trust your mounting method, but you definitely get points for ingenuity and effort(points off for safety perhaps). If you're enjoying yourself now, I think you'll really like turning when you get a few proper tool. Great job!

Donny Lawson
04-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Yep, looks like a soup bowl. Good work.

Baxter Smith
05-01-2011, 12:57 AM
Never heard of mounting a bowl blank that way but it probably isn't a first! Nice end result on a tough shape to learn on!

John Hart
05-01-2011, 7:03 AM
Actually, I gave this some thought the other day. I bought a tap for 20 bucks so I could make on-the-fly faceplates....which works incredibly well. then I got to thinking, "Why not just thread some of these blanks?"

Nothing wrong with it as far as I can guess, and you got a cool bowl out of the deal.

You're addicted Matt ;)

Matt Evans
05-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Actually, I gave this some thought the other day. I bought a tap for 20 bucks so I could make on-the-fly faceplates....which works incredibly well. then I got to thinking, "Why not just thread some of these blanks?"

Nothing wrong with it as far as I can guess, and you got a cool bowl out of the deal.

You're addicted Matt ;)

That was the basic idea. As for safety, it beats holding them in a metal chuck hands down.

As far as addicted, I am not sure. I may be if I can consistently make something functional. But, I have more of an engineering mindset than artistic flair. So, I could see myself making a bunch of plates, bowls and cups to use, with gnarly stuff going to ashtrays and such, all rough approximations of each other. I doubt Hollow forms are for me though. They are pretty, even awe inspiring when done well, but I cant see what I would actually use them for, so I dunno. Although they would be a challenge. . .

It may even be that I lose interest in bowl turning if I get the right equipment. Right now its a challenge and problem solving game for me. That keeps me interested more than anything else. Time will tell though. . . My self assessment might be way off base.

Chip Sutherland
05-01-2011, 6:48 PM
Congratulations on completing the bowl successfully. Success breeds confidence. Your chucking method is foreign to me. As long as you are taking the appropriate safey measures from bodily injury, have at it. This forum is about advice and opinion. Take what you like and leave the rest.

Michael James
05-01-2011, 8:47 PM
Keep that sense of humor! No one has ever been asked not to post turnings here... least not publicly!:D
If you're not looking at getting a wood chuck, or until then, I would suggest a sacrificial piece of hardwood to epoxy or superglue or ?? your piece on. That way you can ditch the evidence of the "holding process" without wasting any of your project wood when you turn it off.
Whether or not wood turning turns out to be your thing is secondary to the fact you're giving it a shot. Atta boy!
mj

John Hart
05-02-2011, 7:45 AM
That was the basic idea. As for safety, it beats holding them in a metal chuck hands down.

As far as addicted, I am not sure. I may be if I can consistently make something functional. But, I have more of an engineering mindset than artistic flair. So, I could see myself making a bunch of plates, bowls and cups to use, with gnarly stuff going to ashtrays and such, all rough approximations of each other. I doubt Hollow forms are for me though. They are pretty, even awe inspiring when done well, but I cant see what I would actually use them for, so I dunno. Although they would be a challenge. . .

It may even be that I lose interest in bowl turning if I get the right equipment. Right now its a challenge and problem solving game for me. That keeps me interested more than anything else. Time will tell though. . . My self assessment might be way off base.

Yeah..you never know, Matt. I'm the same way. Been an engineer for so long that I see everything from a problematic perspective. But oddly enough, this type of turning really sparks that interest. There are so many nuances to this, requiring problem-solving, that I find myself constantly questioning the "accepted" method, and try to find innovative ways to do stuff. Then there's the design aspects of the tools, fixtures, and other equipment....chemical properties of all the solvents and finishes....speed, flex, centripetal force, tip speed, axial vs radial approach...etc..etc.

You never know...:)

Dennis Simmons
05-02-2011, 7:08 PM
Good job, I like the " I did it my way attitude" Keep up the good work.

Steve Schlumpf
05-03-2011, 9:45 AM
Matt - a lot of us here have a technical background and have come to love the challenges turning provides! You mentioned hollow forms - so that is why I thought I would jump in with a few comments.

One thing about turning - in general - is that everything we basically adhere to when dealing with angles in the technical world (CAD, architecture, joinery, circuit boards, etc) is thrown out the window when turning! Well.... most of it anyway! The problem solving aspect that we love so much in the technical world is still there but the rules we were accustomed to using have changed! Now everything is dealing with curves, proportions and form and in a way is even more challenging because we are forced to think things through in a different way.

When I first started turning - it was a confusing mess for me! I loved the mechanics of the process but had no idea how to create flowing curves and form. That came with time, lots of questions and help from a few mentors! I am not an artist but I am beginning to appreciate form from an aesthetic point of view and not one of function. The creative side of each of us comes out in what we turn and the more experience we have turning - the easier the process becomes!

Have fun turning! If possible - get with some experienced turners and get some pointers on the how-to stuff! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!