PDA

View Full Version : Shelix Jointer Query

Sam Babbage
04-30-2011, 8:49 PM
At work I just turned the knives for the first time on our Shelixed 410mm SCM, prior to changing the jointer was shooting dead straight (and had not been adjusted since the Shelix was installed) but after turning the knives (with appropriate torque wrench) there was a tiny, but noticeable amount of snipe. While not a huge issue, is this normal? The only causes I could think of were knife wear on the original edge, but the tables hadn't been tweaked since installation, or the huge amount of screws with a slightly different torque setting than the factory ever so slightly distorting the geometry of the head.

Peter Stahl
04-30-2011, 9:44 PM
Sounds like the out feed table needs to be adjusted, but that's just a guess.

J.R. Rutter
04-30-2011, 10:15 PM
The Byrd heads seem to be a little tricky with just one reference edge for each insert. The exact method that you use to register the inserts while tightening might affect projection enough to put the edges out further. Still worth it to fine tune the outfeed (raise slightly) since you can run so long between rotations. A bit of dust between the seat and insert could also be a secondary factor.

Sam Babbage
04-30-2011, 10:56 PM
The outfeed table has already been tweaked and it's back to shooting dead-straight. I was more curious as to why... You might be right, J.R, but I did seat the inserts as far back as possible. Oh well, as I said, it's not a huge deal. This cat's just curious. :P