PDA

View Full Version : Apple bowl

Deane Allinson
04-30-2011, 6:42 PM
I found a small apple limb with a rotted out center lying next to the road. The electric company was trimming branches and missed picking one up. I was hoping to get a dark continuous rim around the top edge that was near the rotted out portion. No such luck. It's 6" diameter and 3" tall.
Deane

Steve Vaughan
04-30-2011, 7:51 PM
I was just sitting here 20 minutes ago admiring this beautiful bowl when a friend called out of the blue and said he was bringing me some apple! Seeing this, can't wait to get to a little piece of it. I love what the rot did to the edge, really added great character I think!

David E Keller
04-30-2011, 8:58 PM
That's really cool! I love that you kept the dark area as part of the rim... In my opinion, it makes the piece.

philip labre
04-30-2011, 10:51 PM
That's a beauty, Deane!!! Like David said, the darker areas really make this special.

Bernie Weishapl
04-30-2011, 11:08 PM
Beauty Deane. Really like the colors.

Baxter Smith
05-01-2011, 12:51 AM
Great job Deane! The contrast between the natural edge and turned edge seems to set this one apart from the ordinary. I messed up a natural edge bowl once and had to turn part of it smooth a lot like this. I really liked the look of the end result but have never done another one like it.(accidentally or on purpose) This one is a good reminder to try it again. Thanks for sharing!

Michelle Rich
05-01-2011, 7:33 AM
can't complain about this find! pretty wood.

Lee Koepke
05-01-2011, 7:39 AM
I like the way that came out! If I recall, you are pretty new to bowls, and I do have to say, you have done nothing but fabulous bowls thus far!

Dave Wagner
05-01-2011, 7:53 AM
Nice. A buddy of mine gave me a few apple logs from a tree that blew down, will be cutting up and trying to make something with them...

John Keeton
05-01-2011, 8:07 AM
Deane, this one really has a uniqueness about it! Very nice - great wood, too. I suspect the only way one would get a dark rim continuously is in a true natural edge turning, as the hollow log will always produce two sides that are part of the circumference and have none of the rot.

bob svoboda
05-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Nice shape and I love voids. Good job.