PDA

View Full Version : Granite Tiles

Kathy Moore
04-30-2011, 3:57 PM
I have a project of some granite tiles. Can anyone give me any pointers? Speed? Power? Resolution? Anything so that I do not waste any of the tiles.
Being a total greenie I can use all the advice I can get. Please and thank You.
Kathy:rolleyes:

Larry Bratton
04-30-2011, 5:12 PM
Kathy,
I have an Epilog 40 watt. I use 100s 38-40p at 300dpi. Be careful with your power..it's easy to overpower granite. With a 60 you probably need to drop it down a bit. You might sacrifice one tile and test until you get it right. It can also vary too, granite is a natural product, subsequently not the best for consistency.

Kathy Moore
04-30-2011, 5:29 PM
Thank You Larry
At least this will give me a starting point.
That is all one can ask for.
Thanks again, Kathy

Hannu Rinne
04-30-2011, 6:09 PM
Hi Kathy,

With my 60W GCC Spirit I use mostly 18-22p / 250-300dpi / 100s - as Larry mentioned it's really easy to destroy granite with overpower

Regards,
Hannu

Dee Gallo
04-30-2011, 6:37 PM
Hi Kathy,

I don't have the power you have, so my settings won't help. But, I can tell you it is well worth it to "waste" one tile doing tests. Make a small file, maybe 2" x 4" and include some lettering, some part of a photo and a filled shape so you can see what will happen with various settings at various dpi. Starting with Hannu's settings, for instance, then you can raise and lower dpi, speed and power doing strips on the one tile. I find it best to engrave the settings right on your sample which will be EXTREMELY helpful in the future...believe me, you'll forget the settings and results later on when you need to get specific effects. So write them down!

cheers, dee

Barry Basiliere
04-30-2011, 7:00 PM
Kathy,

I have an Epilog Helix 60 Watt machine and have done a few of the granite tiles. I use DPI 600, Speed 100% and power 25%. Hope this info helps.

Here is a scan of one of the tiles that I have done.

Ross Moshinsky
04-30-2011, 7:00 PM
If there is text or vector graphics involved, I wouldn't go under 500dpi. Photos it is more than acceptable and usually beneficial to engrave at 300dpi.