PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Hollow Form-....Almost

Nate Davey
04-30-2011, 3:53 PM
I wanted to try my new hollowing bars, so pulled on old piece of walnut out from under my lathe. Turned out to be a beautiful piece and I'm very happy with my hollowing tools. Dr. Keller, you were right about the circular cutter not being very aggressive, but it works well, for me, and it's easy to get the nub off the bottom. The 45 degree cutter works great as well. I also used my EWT Ci0 Finisher on the upper part for smoothing.

I was completely done hollowing and thought I would make one pass to clean it up. Found a bump and was smoothing it out when I thought "Man, that sounds thin". And sure enough, it's side lighted now. I'm a little disappointed, but learned a great deal that will help on the next. I also, really like my lathes remote for power and speed. Very handy.

Anyways, Walnut, 7" tall and about 3" wide inside and out.

David DeCristoforo
04-30-2011, 3:57 PM
Oooops! That one goes on that "special shelf" that every shop has (or should have). A tribute to what might have been? And it also becomes a great excuse to buy a laser!

Steve Schlumpf
04-30-2011, 4:35 PM
Looks pretty cool Nate! I know the sound you are talking about! Unfortunately - by the time you hear it - it's to late! At least you know your hollowing system works! Looking forward to seeing your next one!

John Hart
05-01-2011, 6:32 AM
I have one of those right now too Nate. (Rosewood....broke my heart) Too bad, but ya know....you can always cut off the bottom half, add a pedestal cup and turn it into a flower.

That's what I'm going to do with mine anyway.

Scott Hackler
05-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Happens to us all! (or at least those of us without lasers mounted on a hollowing rig!) Like John said, there might be a way to salvage it into a different piece or or like David said... sit it up on the shelf as a lesson / reminder.

David E Keller
05-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Hey, I recognize that form! I've got several of those laying around the shop...