PDA

View Full Version : Corel Q - create an outline from a shape/picture ?

Mike vonBuelow
04-30-2011, 3:31 PM
Ok, so suppose I import a raster image of a face (just as an example) and I want to cut out that face as it is after I laser the raster part.

Does Corel have a feature/shortcut to create an outline from that image?

Or is there a way to select the entire image, fill it, weld it, and then create the outline?

:confused:

Larry Bratton
04-30-2011, 4:24 PM
You need the Create Boundary tool. I don't know any version of Corel except X3, so if your above that, you will just have to look in your particular version for it. In X3 it's under the Effects menu item. This tool will put a hairline boundary around your object, but it is a raster (bitmap) image, you will have to vectorize it using Trace. It will not work with a bitmap. Once this is done, assuming you haven't moved the artwork from it's original position from where you rastered it, you should be able to cut it out. Good luck.

Bill Cunningham
04-30-2011, 8:57 PM
I just use the Bezier tool, and just create a dot to dot out line around the area you need. If you make the bezier line a hairline, it will cut. If you combine raster/vector it will raster engrave the image, then cut it out along the hairline you just created.

Tom Bull
05-01-2011, 5:13 PM
My method is a bit like Bill's. I use pen tool and then f10 to shape tool. Make all the lines curves and adjust them. Unless there is a lot of wispy hair, it can be done in a couple/few minutes. It takes a while to become proficient at the system, but is sure a useful skill when editing photos.

George M. Perzel
05-01-2011, 6:57 PM
Mike;
Easiest way that I have found is to take the image into Photopaint or Photoshop, convert to a Black/White image,fill it withblack and then trace it in Corel. You can do it faster in some pics if you convert to grayscale, mess with the contrast/brigtness/intensity to blacken the image and then trace.
Best Regards;
George
Laserarts

Mike vonBuelow
05-02-2011, 11:12 AM
George, that was my next try idea - thanks! I'm also experimenting with ungroup all, break apart curves, selecting all, then weld.

The photoshop (don't have paint) route may proove faster - just hoping it all lines up after re-import back into Draw and then trace.

Larry Bratton
05-02-2011, 6:34 PM
George, that was my next try idea - thanks! I'm also experimenting with ungroup all, break apart curves, selecting all, then weld.

The photoshop (don't have paint) route may proove faster - just hoping it all lines up after re-import back into Draw and then trace.

Did you purchase your Corel Draw as the Graphics Suite? Just curious as to why you don't have Photopaint? Photoshop is great, but sometimes Photopaint comes in very handy due to the way it interfaces with Draw. Saves me a lot of time.

Mike vonBuelow
05-03-2011, 10:57 PM
I just did the export to EPS, a quick Photoshop edit, and back right into Corel - lickety split.

This fourm/website is awesome for all the helpful peeps!

Mike vonBuelow
05-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Larry, I'll have to check on photopaint... honestly never looked. I've been using Photoshop & Illustrator for close to 15 years now, so it's just been easier to cross-flow that way.