PDA

View Full Version : Burn Barrel Resurrection #1

Dick Wilson
04-30-2011, 11:58 AM
A month ago John Keeton shamed me into cleaning my pit that I call my studio and 2nd home. In clearing off the benches I once again handled a number of turnings that went completely south on me. At the time in total disgust I threw them on one of my benches and moved on. Several of them are from 3-4 years ago. I threw them in one of my burn barrels this time. A friend dumped the barrels into his pick-up and I panicked. I grabbed a number of them out of the pick-up with a 1-Class hoarder’s mentality. A priceless gem – every one of them. I think it is because I have a lot more experience and have refined my eye, if you will, that I am able to envision a finished piece out of these mistakes/disasters this time around.

Anyway, this is a piece of Flowering Pear ( 5" x 9" ) that I turned back when I was learning to hollow turn. My hollowing system was made out of round bar. I must have bumped the laser because it pushed the laser towards the turning. I was finishing the bottom of the inside when suddenly it was spinning on my boring bar like a hula-hoop. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: I now have square tubing on my laser light. :):)

I have parts boxes now. I wish I had kept a lot of I did throw away. They were gems - every one of them. I don't throw anything away. I can't count the number of times that I have been able to incorporate parts into a new turning. A thought to keep in mind for all you beginning turners:D:D:D:D193228

curtis rosche
04-30-2011, 12:32 PM
nice work. looks really good. +1 on the never throw away. i have peices that might not even be able to be fixed, but i still kept them cause i like the wood.. but i also have wood that cant really be turned that i keep too,,,,,,

Bob Wolfe
04-30-2011, 12:35 PM
Very nice save Dick !! I really like the form, but even more so the story behind it. Those woods compliment each other so well I would have never known that it wasn't planned if you hadn't shared the true story with us. I can relate to holding onto just about every little scrap of wood and after seeing how you created this out of a couple (dare I say) failed projects, it's going to be even harder for me to part with my scraps, so thanks for that.

Bob

Jim Burr
04-30-2011, 2:21 PM
I want to dig through your burn barrel Dick...I have a 5x1/2" cherry disc in mine. That is beautiful...the mouth and base contrast well. Really cool!

Steve Campbell
04-30-2011, 2:25 PM
I used to save every small piece of everything. Then I finally figure out that if I hadn't used it in three or four years I probably wasn't going to use them in the next three or four. I went through a lot of my "Extras" this winter and burned a bunch of them. Not enough but it was a start and I can almost walk around in my shop now.
Great save on you hollow form.

Steve

David E Keller
04-30-2011, 2:45 PM
Looks good, Dick. If you're gonna show several of these, I think it would be neat to see the 'before' photos as well.

Tim Thiebaut
04-30-2011, 2:46 PM
Wow talk about a nice save, that is beautiful! I have a sickness myself...I cant throw anything away either...unless it is just this little nub like a waffer that there could never be any earthly use for...then again maybe I could make a shim out of them, better go see if I can find any I tossed! lol

John Keeton
04-30-2011, 2:59 PM
Dick, you have humbled me!!:o Apparently, your "burn barrel" contains much higher quality "junk" than does my kindling box!! This piece was worth yanking back out of the truck, and I take back everything I said about you back sliding!!:D Wonderful piece!

Dick Wilson
04-30-2011, 3:09 PM
Looks good, Dick. If you're gonna show several of these, I think it would be neat to see the 'before' photos as well.

David, For some dumb reason I didn't think about the before pics on most of them. I will do what I can.

Baxter Smith
04-30-2011, 3:33 PM
Exceptional save Dick! The color combo is great and the form looks planned from the start!

Michael James
04-30-2011, 3:51 PM
Really nice piece and a great lesson. Thanks!
mj

David DeCristoforo
04-30-2011, 4:05 PM
This is a great looking piece, no matter what the source of the wood was. But I gotta warn you... you start hanging out with guys like Keeton and you will end up spending more time cleaning than turning. These "clean shop" guys want you to think that they keep their shops spotless. What they don't want you to know is that they have elves that come out at night and clean up the shop in exchange for cookies left out for them. Go on, John... just try and deny it!

Steve Schlumpf
04-30-2011, 4:38 PM
Well that is one heck of a save! Great form and I really like the color combination! Well worth the effort!

Dick Wilson
04-30-2011, 10:15 PM
Well that is one heck of a save! Great form and I really like the color combination! Well worth the effort!

Hi Steve, This one was the easy one to figure out.:):) The challenge difficulty goes straight up from here on the other ones.:eek::eek:

John Hart
05-01-2011, 6:44 AM
Wow Dick!!! I love it. Wonderful work!