PDA

View Full Version : Removing glue from acrylic (Dichloromethane/Methylene Chloride)

Nikhil Patel
04-30-2011, 3:32 AM
Hi, I was using Dichloromethane (Methylene Chloride) to stick acrylic together when making a sign, but some of the adhesive has leaked out and stained the backboard of the sign. Is there any way to remove it without damaging the acrylic?
Thanks

Joe Pelonio
04-30-2011, 9:15 AM
That's not actually glue, it's a solvent that melts the plastic together. You cannot remove it. You have to be very careful when using it, perhaps even mask to prevent spilling onto areas not meant to be stuck together. The best you can do at this point would be to sand with multiple grits down to 1200, then use acrylic polish to return the gloss.

Nikhil Patel
05-04-2011, 1:48 PM
Hi, Thanks for your help ill give it a try!

Larry Bratton
05-04-2011, 9:48 PM
Nikhil,
If it isn't a big ole killer spot, I take some 400 grit sandpaper and work on it a bit. Then I take my MAPP gas torch that I use to flame polish edges with and hit that spot with some intense heat really fast.(In other words,bring the torch close to the spot then quickly withdraw it) It's not a 100% cure but it has worked for me to the point of making the piece acceptable to a buyer.

Mike Null
05-09-2011, 5:59 AM
I try to very quickly wipe up any overflow with a rag with dna on it (has to be done while the solvent is wet). If there is still a mark you can use various polishes to remove it. They work a little like using progressive grits of sand paper. Look at Novus polishes though my first step is usually with auto rubbing compound. I'm pretty careful so this is really not a frequent problem.

If the mark is really nasty throw the piece away and start over.