PDA

View Full Version : Another nice WOOD gloat

Donny Lawson
04-29-2011, 6:14 PM
This Big Cedar was brought down by our last storm in a local cemetary and was cut up for me today by our tree crew. It's some nice straight,big pieces and will make some nice projects. Donny

Chip Sutherland
04-29-2011, 7:00 PM
Nice gloat. That should make the shop smell nice. You should have plenty of fun.

Fred Perreault
04-29-2011, 8:05 PM
Donny, that is great looking stuff! Cedar is a lot of fun to turn.

Bernie Weishapl
04-29-2011, 9:13 PM
Donny that is some nice looking cedar. That should make some nice turning and will make the shop smell great.

Roger Chandler
04-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Donny....you will have great fun with that cedar.....some beautiful turnings await. Cedar can crack so easily, so get it sealed quickly and when you go to finish, wipe the turning down with acetone so your finish will not have to contend with the natural oils.

Donny Lawson
04-29-2011, 10:41 PM
I've already cut one up and roughed out a big bowl but I had a few problems. I roughed out the outside between centers and turned a tennon and reversed it and put it in the chuck and I got about a quarter sized hole started with the hollowing and the tennon broke off in the chuck and the bowl rolled across the floor. I had to re-do the tennon and reshape the bowl a little to get it balanced again but I decided to hollow it out this time in between centers. That was a challange. The bowl is about10" wide and 6-7 inches deep. I ended up using a 1/4" parting tool to do alot of the hollowing at the bottom because of the tailstock being in the way. I finally finished it and sealed the endgrain. I will let the anchorseal dry till morning and bag it up. I'll get a picture before I bag it. I was tired and ready to call it a night. I did add CA glue to the tennon so hopefully it will give it some strength in time for the next turning in a few months after it dries out.

Michael James
04-29-2011, 11:35 PM
Another nice haul there!

Ian Jeffcock
04-30-2011, 2:08 AM
Donny, Nice haul. That looks a lot nicer than the cedar we have in MW Montana. ( western cedar) It looks more like our Juniper, but not very often gets that big. It's a challenge to deal with the cracking, but worth it.

Steve Schlumpf
04-30-2011, 4:48 PM
Congrats on all the Cedar! Sure has some nice color to it! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it! Have fun!