PDA

View Full Version : redbud burl

David E Keller
04-29-2011, 3:23 PM
I got a call from my tree trimmer buddy yesterday... He says, "I've got something at the yard you might be interested in." He was correct. He had saved a trunk from a redbud tree that's covered in burls! Redbud trees are fairly common around here, and the trunks are always twisted and gnarly, but this tree actually has burls. This is the first redbud burl I've seen.

After cutting it to manageable lengths and sealing the ends, I put a small chunk between centers just to see what might be inside. The center of the tree was an ant colony, and the little critters must be wood turners as they had already removed the pith for me!:D

Here's a little HF about 4" across finished with renaissance wax only. I turned it today and took the pictures right away... It's already starting to warp and twist.

Comments, criticisms, and suggestions appreciated.

Jim Burr
04-29-2011, 3:26 PM
Nice haul!! That's another scary HF doc...did you plastic-ize it or go Al fresco? The NE mouth is growing on me, great classic shape...really cool lookin'!!

John Hart
04-29-2011, 3:31 PM
Sooo...What did you do with the ants? That woulda freaked me out to have wood-chompin' ants all over my shop. :eek:

I don't mind bees and spiders....but carpenter ants? grrrrr.

But that's a cool form you got there!! From as thin as it is, I'm figuring that you're going for the warped look.

Nice score by the way ;)

Jeff Fagen
04-29-2011, 3:47 PM
My Mom wants me to take one down in her yard that is large and full of burls.

John Keeton
04-29-2011, 4:15 PM
Nice wood haul, David, and great form!! Love the sapwood, and that one is going to look great when it distorts.

David DeCristoforo
04-29-2011, 4:25 PM
Sweet! This one looks like it's even got moss growing on it! Love the "NE" rim too...

bob svoboda
04-29-2011, 4:33 PM
Nice form and a great haul on the burl!

Steve Schlumpf
04-29-2011, 4:34 PM
Congrats on the wood David! Great looking little hollow form! Love the shape and all the character in the wood! Gonna be even better looking once it warps - as long as it holds together!

David Reed
04-29-2011, 5:10 PM
Nice score David. Love what is hidden inside like this. Ants? Well it can be nice to have a little assistance with the hollowing, but I'm with John Hart, what about the ants retirement?
I am also interested to see how this thing warps and if it does so without major crackage.

Baxter Smith
04-29-2011, 5:13 PM
Nice looking wood! Nice looking HF too. Will be interesting to see where the shape ends up.

Donny Lawson
04-29-2011, 5:18 PM
Nice haul,and even nicer HF.

Michael James
04-29-2011, 5:30 PM
Awesome piece there amigo, but did the ants move in??? :eek:

Chip Sutherland
04-29-2011, 7:04 PM
Nice haul. nice piece. I hate ants....and those beetles in Mesquite trees, too.

Curt Fuller
04-29-2011, 8:50 PM
You've sure been turning out some cool work Keller! I like the contrasts in the heart and sapwood and the little bit of moss in the bark areas. I wonder if that moss will stay green. Maybe you could box those ants up and just save them for pith removal. I've turned a few of those ant house pieces and I usually realize it about the time their crawling all over me.

Bernie Weishapl
04-29-2011, 9:03 PM
Really nice piece David. I to wondered if the moss will stay green. Well done.

David E Keller
04-29-2011, 9:23 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

My Mom wants me to take one down in her yard that is large and full of burls.

What are you waiting on, Jeff? :D

Nice haul!! That's another scary HF doc...did you plastic-ize it or go Al fresco? ...

No wraps or plastic. A few of the bark areas got a little rub with blackwood dust and a squirt of thin CA.

...Maybe you could box those ants up and just save them for pith removal. I've turned a few of those ant house pieces and I usually realize it about the time their crawling all over me.

Hadn't thought of that, but it would be nice to have pithless logs at my disposal. After seeing how many folks on here are afraid of ants, I'm considering mailing a few of the little buggers.:D

I actually stuck the nozzle of my air hose into the pith and blew these things out while they were outside the shop. These aren't carpenter ants... They're just ant ants. I did spinkle some stuff on the driveway outside the shop which is supposed to kill the entire colony. I didn't see any ants around the logs this morning, and I haven't seen any in the shop. I'll let you folks know if an infestation occurs.

Jon Lanier
04-29-2011, 11:31 PM
Nice haul! Should see some really nice pieces out of that stack.

Don Alexander
04-30-2011, 2:56 AM
yet another "air" turning hehe

i can see it now "what ya make that one out of , David? " "oh........ 2 or 3 toothpicks and 3-4 gallons of air"

really nice piece of work there and gorgeous wood too at least what there is of it :D

Sid Matheny
04-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Very nice HF and may look even better in a few days. There is lots of redbud around here in middle Tennessee but I have never seen a redbud burl.

Sid

Art Manansala
04-30-2011, 10:24 AM
Nice piece. I really like the natural rim. I've never seen Red bud before - I guess it doesn't grow in CA.

Art