PDA

View Full Version : Early Bandsaw Gloat

Joe Rivest
04-29-2011, 10:43 AM
As I had previously posted, I am in the process of getting a small basement workshop set up. One of the tools I knew I would be getting was a bandsaw. I had previously posted I was thinking about getting a Grizzly G0513xb. Some had mentioned I should get a MM16 or Laguna 16HD. Well I would have liked that, but that was just too much tool for my small basement shop, and more than I really wanted to spend. I had sort of discounted Laguna, because of some of the stories of poor customer service I had read. But the more I read it really seemed they had improved their game.

So I started looking into the Laguna LT16 3000. I thought it might be a more middle of the road solution. I gave Tim a call at Laguna, and after talking with him decided to order it. The next day they shipped it out, and it looks like it will arrive on Monday. I also got the mobility kit, the driftmaster fence, and a Resaw King blade.

This is my first bandsaw, so the whole blade thing is a little overwhelming. I read the very helpful "Let's Talk Bandsaw Blades" thread. Here is what I was thinking about blades, any input you guys have would be appreciated:

1. Resaw- I purchased the resaw King with my saw in 1". Tim assures me the LT6 3000 will have no problems properly tensioning this blade.

2 I want a general purpose everyday blade. Something I can do straight cuts, but also some gentle contours. I was thinking the Lenox Diemaster in 1/2" 0.025, but not really sure whether to get 4 or 6 tpi hook?

3. Something for finer contour work. Was thinking a 1/4" 0.025 diemaster. Is the 10/14 Vari to many tpi? Should I go with the 6 tpi hook?

I will be sure to post pics once it arrives, and is down in the basement.

Joe

Mike Tekin
04-29-2011, 11:08 AM
Joe,

You will be really happy with the LT16 3000. I just received the LT183000 a little over a month ago and it is one heck of a band saw! These saws are well reinforced everywhere you can think of- there is not a problem tensioning a 1" blade. As a matter of fact the 1" Resaw King works well on the LT14 SUV saw. As far as blades, I would get for the 1/4" 6 tpi hook and the 1/2" 4 tpi hook. I had this combination on my older saw and didn't need anything else.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me...I have had a great experience with Laguna from sales to tech support questions, etc and really spent a good amount of time getting my feet wet with these 3000 series saws.

Salvatore Buscemi
04-29-2011, 2:28 PM
If you guys can't even wait until you *have* the tool to brag about it, I'm gonna start bragging every time I look in a catalog! I'm gonna call it the preliminary really early gloat. =P

Joe Rivest
04-29-2011, 7:04 PM
If you guys can't even wait until you *have* the tool to brag about it, I'm gonna start bragging every time I look in a catalog! I'm gonna call it the preliminary really early gloat. =P

I guess your right. Though a credit card charged and a tracking number should count for something. :) Really I was looking for bandsaw blade advice, and didn't want to post ANOTHER which bandsaw blade thread. So instead I made another gloat thread!! :D

Todd Bin
04-29-2011, 11:17 PM
I have and use the diemaster blades. They work great for me.

Joe Rivest
04-30-2011, 11:52 AM
So do others tend to agree that in addition to the 1" Resaw King, the diemaster in 1/4" 6 tpi hook and the 1/2" 4 tpi hook would be a good starting point?

Curt Harms
05-01-2011, 8:10 AM
So do others tend to agree that in addition to the 1" Resaw King, the diemaster in 1/4" 6 tpi hook and the 1/2" 4 tpi hook would be a good starting point?

That's about what I'd do.