PDA

View Full Version : sawing log help!!

Ricc Havens
04-29-2011, 9:49 AM
Just got a small Stihl 211 chainsaw with 16"bar. Yes, I know it's small and I could have gotten a longer bar with a cheaper saw brand but I took the suggestions I have read here in other posts to buy the best you can afford.

Now need a good way to hold the log for cutting into bowl blanks. Anyone have any ideas or pics or plans on what you use?

Thanks
Ricc Havens
rv.havensATgmail.com

philip labre
04-29-2011, 10:04 AM
Few ideas in this thread. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?114124-Chain-saw-saw-horse

Roger Chandler
04-29-2011, 10:27 AM
Ricc.......I have not as of yet built one of those log sawhorses [I plan to do so] but for the time being I have had good success with using a pallet. I place the log so that the space between the pallet boards runs underneath the log blank, that way when I go through the log I have a bit of space underneath and do not hit the ground.

If you use this idea, then just make sure you do not get the tip of your saw near a cross member with a nail, because you will see the sparks fly.....:eek:......DAMHIKT! [don't ask me how I know this]

Michelle Rich
04-29-2011, 11:07 AM
a 16 inch saw is not too small..it will cut a 32 inch diameter tree. As Roger said..or make wedge like items and jam under the log. A sawbuck would be invaluable..plans are everywhere

Jim Heikes
04-29-2011, 11:33 AM
193146This is what I have been using. Works great (for me). Slice the log on the 1st section then round off the blank on the forward platform.

Jonathan Spool
04-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Ricc,
Both the link to John Lannoms saw buck, or the one posted above by Jim, look perfect. I don't know what kind of chain you are running, but I suggest a skip tooth that will perform well for cross cutting as well as in ripping the log down the middle.

Michael Mills
04-29-2011, 1:46 PM
I use my workbench. Note the section of 2X in the bottom of the vice to keep from hitting the slides when I split the log. The hold fast works well for taking off the corners and keeping the piece secure.

Dan Forman
04-29-2011, 3:17 PM
This is a nice variation that might save your back. http://www.hiltonhandcraft.com/Articles/Sawbuck.asp

Lee Koepke
04-29-2011, 4:04 PM
This is a nice variation that might save your back. http://www.hiltonhandcraft.com/Articles/Sawbuck.asp
just saw that today .... i think i am gonna build one since I may be developing back problems ....

One thing I may add to that is a replaceable 'cutting board' for the top rail (sorta an L shape, screwing the leg into the rail) so that as I cut thru the logs, I can replace the top piece instead of the rail ???

Chip Sutherland
04-29-2011, 7:15 PM
I built the one that Philip provided in a link. Works great. I move the dowels a little further out and I did not glue/fix them so they are easier to replace. I had a problem with the compound legs so mine doesn't sit flat but I don't care. I don't notice it on the grass or terrain.

Jack Gaskins
04-29-2011, 8:02 PM
Here is what I made for after I have split the log and need to actually get a rough round blank to throw on the lathe. I made this for just a few bucks and man does it work freaking great. Keeps me from buying a $4000 bandsaw. Also, if you dont have an electric chainsaw I would HIGHLY recommend the Makita 16". Got one off ebay and it is awesome for using in the garage.

Jack Gaskins
04-29-2011, 8:06 PM

Thought I would add a few more to show a larger bowl blank.