PDA

View Full Version : Avoided the tornadoes

Jim Good
04-29-2011, 8:48 AM
Last Wednesday my area (Huntsville, Alabama) was hit with tornadoes and a ton of rain. After hunkering down during the afternoon and evening, we lost our power but the house was intact. The entire county is without power so no signal lights, restaurants, GAS!, or government offices running.

With this said, I packed the family (wife and 3 kids) and headed to Tennessee. We are going to hang out in Gatlinburg for a few days.

I have some Creekers with some orders that should have gone out the past 2 days but with everything shut down and me trying to restrain the 19-month old, it will probably be Monday before I can get packages out. I will email those folks today but I thought this may help get word out for now.

There are many people dead and I've seen some of the damage. I consider myself lucky and will pray for the families affected. Last night while in Walmart in Pigeon Forge, the checkout lady said that an older lady got a call from family while in the store and was told her 2 granddaughters (13 and 5 years old) died from the tornadoes in Alabama.

I'm being told 5-7 days before power gets back to the county. Hopefully, that will be reduced. Last count I heard was 135 people dead but I'm behind on my news. I hope it isn't much higher.

Got to go for now. The youngest (Jonathan) woke me up early this morning so I better feed him and we'll plan the activities for today. Just wanted my Creek family to know what was going on.

Jim

Larry Bratton
04-29-2011, 8:59 AM
Jim:
I too am in Alabama. Thank goodness in the southern part of the state. Up to date death toll in Alabama alone is 210. One of the students that was killed in Tuscaloosa was an acquaintance of my family in Georgia, he was a senior and due to graduate in May. His family has just recently suffered another death, I think, of his grandmother. Tragic

Jim Good
04-29-2011, 9:08 AM
Larry, I hate to hear about the student in Tuscaloosa. They got hit hard, too. Here is a picture. 193138

I'm glad you are safe.

Jim

Peter Odell
04-29-2011, 9:52 AM
I live about 35 miles north of Huntsville and we had a few of them here not like you had them.

Martin Boekers
04-29-2011, 11:09 AM
Jim,

Glad you made it through, such a tragedy that happens in a few seconds.

We had quite a time in St. Louis last Friday totally amazing not one death
or serious injury.

Had a relative that trashed houses on both sides of him, but evidently it lifted
up over his home with no significant damage.

Enjoy this time with your family and know the folks in Alabama are in our prayers.

Jim Good
04-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Martin,

I'm glad to hear you came through unscathed. I hope Mike Null also came through it ok. Lots of cleaning to do in my area. My family is fortunate and we'll need to help those that weren't.

Thanks for the well wishes from everyone.

Jim

Dee Gallo
04-29-2011, 12:13 PM
Jim,

I'm so glad you and your family are okay, even if you had to go on a forced "vacation". Mother Nature is pretty wild this year, I hope she got it all out of her system last week.

BTW- I'm pretty sure folks will forgive a short delay in their shipments from you, you're still the Man in my book!

cheers, dee

Chris DeGerolamo
04-29-2011, 12:29 PM
We had a bunch come through our state too. My family and I are fortunate that we had no damage and no injury. I know some people that were not as fortunate. My sympathy goes out to you all affected.