PDA

View Full Version : Small Wood Gloat - Catlapa and Walnut

Keith E Byrd
04-29-2011, 6:33 AM
I was visiting my son in Pennsylvania over Easter and while driving around we spotted a pile of wood slabs out by an old barn. We stopped and talked to guy and he said that he uses any money he makes off the pile for a childrens program at his church. So for a few bucks I loaded up some slabs of Catalpa, one walnut and a walnut log. An unexpected find while visiting my son! I just realized I misspelled Catalpa in the title - how do you edit the title?

Donny Lawson
04-29-2011, 6:51 AM
There should be a nice bowl in that log there.

Roger Chandler
04-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Catalpa can be a bear to finish........sanding is a long process, but nice stuff can come from it and the combination of walnut with catalpa.......here is one I did a few months ago....

Bernie Weishapl
04-29-2011, 2:50 PM
Both are good turning wood. I love walnut and have made several pieces from both woods with no problems.

Steve Schlumpf
04-29-2011, 4:40 PM
Keith - congrats on your wood score!

Once you create a thread or post something - you have a 24 hour window in which to edit. After that - you have to contact a moderator. To edit the title - first you click on 'Edit Post' and then click on 'Go Advanced' which is where you will have access to your title.

Keith E Byrd
04-29-2011, 4:48 PM
Keith - congrats on your wood score!

Once you create a thread or post something - you have a 24 hour window in which to edit. After that - you have to contact a moderator. To edit the title - first you click on 'Edit Post' and then click on 'Go Advanced' which is where you will have access to your title.

Thanks Steve - I have messed up the title a couple times and didn't know how to fix!

Keith E Byrd
04-29-2011, 4:49 PM
There should be a nice bowl in that log there.

Donny I suspect more than one! That log is about 18"x32" - with any luck I will get to turn some his weekend.