PDA

View Full Version : Almost Completed -- Nightstands

Bill Arnold
02-03-2005, 11:18 AM
This is a pair of nightstands commissioned by my favorite client -- LOML.

Woods are cherry and walnut. The top panel is a veneer of cherry I resawed and glued to a 3/4" MDF substrate, then wrapped with walnut. The sides are bookmatched solid cherry; front columns and radii are some cherry with a bit of figure. Bottom molding is 1/2" thick walnut; base is walnut veneer over 3/4" ply.

The visible cabinet is built around a 5/8" prefinished maple ply corebox. Visible edges of the corebox are banded with walnut.

Drawers are 1/2" solid maple, dovetailed front and rear using my Incra jig. Sizes are graduated from a larger one on bottom to the smaller one on top for weighting.

Overall size is 27-7/8" high by 25-5/8" wide by 17-7/8" deep.

Finish is blo/naptha/poly in a 1/1/1 ratio. I set the pieces in the Sun for several hours to initiate the coloring process. It will take a few months for all parts to even out in tone, but it's worth the wait to get the natural cherry color.

I look forward to your comments.

John Hemenway
02-03-2005, 12:18 PM
Very, very nice. I'm sure LOYL will be happy with them.

I notice you used drawer hardware (Accuride??). This seems untraditional in bedroom furniture. I'm in the process of designing some nightstands for LOML and am stuck deciding on drawer systems. I like the utility of the hardware but don't like the look. The Blum undermount hardware is a possibility but is sooooo costly! Could you share your decision-making process?

Once again, GREAT JOB!

Bill Arnold
02-03-2005, 1:26 PM
Very, very nice. I'm sure LOYL will be happy with them. I notice you used drawer hardware (Accuride??). This seems untraditional in bedroom furniture. I'm in the process of designing some nightstands for LOML and am stuck deciding on drawer systems. I like the utility of the hardware but don't like the look. The Blum undermount hardware is a possibility but is sooooo costly! Could you share your decision-making process? Once again, GREAT JOB!
John,

Thank you for the compliment.

I'm not surprised at your comment about the drawer slides. I debated whether to use hardware or more traditional wood-on-wood slides. While working in a high-end cabinet shop, I got accustomed to using Accuride and K-V slides in everything we built. The primary clients were yacht builders; secondary clients were local interior designers who catered to the very well-to-do. We built some very beautiful furniture ranging from large entertainment center type assemblies to smaller cabinetry such as nightstands. In all cases, whether going on a boat or into a high-rise luxury condominium the designer called for ball-bearing drawer slides, even on dove-tailed drawers. Now, having said that, it doesn't mean I had to go that route but it did affect my decision.

I considered the undermount type slides that you mentioned, but did not want to pay the price. If I were building similar pieces for a client, I'd certainly suggest the undermount if the client were willing to pay the price.

LOML had even suggested euro-glides would be OK with her but I didn't want the bedroom furniture to look like kitchen cabinets. I've spoke with a woodworker recently whose client didn't like the ball-bearing slides he used on a dresser and insisted he change them to euro-glides. To each his/her own, I guess.

The bottom line for me, I suppose, is the overall appearance of a design and its execution. There are traditional and non-traditional elements in our taste. Some people take exception to the use of cherry and walnut together. I like it and so does LOML and a lot of other folks. If the only thing any of us ever did was the traditional, then we would never have new ideas.

Thanks again for your input.

Warm Regards,

Doug Shepard
02-03-2005, 1:45 PM
VERY nice! I really like the fluting and the large radii on all the corners. For some reason these make me think of old style Victrola type radio cabinets, but it's a very cool look.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-03-2005, 1:50 PM
They look great! Nightstands are on my list to build (what isn't?). I have bookmarked this post for inspiration when the time comes! Great Job!

Mike Mastin
02-03-2005, 2:03 PM
A little Art Deco look to them if I am not mistaken. :cool:

John Hemenway
02-03-2005, 5:41 PM
Bill, thanks for sharing your process w/ us. I've been thinking along similar lines. I figure if the wife and I like 'em it's good enuf.

If any other folks say, "How come you got them slides?", I'll say "How come you looking in my NIGHTSTAND!" :D

Do you have any experience w/ the Accuride's mounted flat under the drawer? They loose lots of carrying capacity but don't cost anywhere near as much as the Blum.

Tyler Howell
02-03-2005, 6:51 PM
A little Art Deco look to them if I am not mistaken. :cool:Was thinking the same thing Mike
Gotta keep the good return customers happy and those will do the trick. Very nice work Bill:cool:

John Miliunas
02-03-2005, 10:00 PM
Bill, those do have that Art Deco flair to them and you've done a splendid job with them!:) I agree on the slides; Use whatever suits your needs and wants the best and you certainly can't argue the action of them...Nice and smooth! Very well done!:) :cool:

Bill Arnold
02-04-2005, 6:17 AM
Thanks to all of you for your comments. It always means a lot to me to hear from you guys whether you like something or not. As to the Art Deco influence of the piece, I'd have to say, "I dunno". :rolleyes: There are times I feel I'm putting something together that could best be described as "whatever". :eek: Maybe I'll branch out as I get more experience, but so far I've tried to stay with designing things with clean, simple lines but with a bit of a flair.

Bill, thanks for sharing your process w/ us. I've been thinking along similar lines. I figure if the wife and I like 'em it's good enuf. If any other folks say, "How come you got them slides?", I'll say "How come you looking in my NIGHTSTAND!" :D Do you have any experience w/ the Accuride's mounted flat under the drawer? They loose lots of carrying capacity but don't cost anywhere near as much as the Blum.
I'm not familiar with Accuride's undermount slide. The only one I saw listed was a center slide and I'm not sure I like that approach. For consistency, I'll probably stick with what I've used on our bed and nightstands as I continue to do the dresser and chest of drawers. To paraphrase you, I'd say to someone asking about 'them slides', "How come you lookin' in my DRAWERS?"

:D