PDA

View Full Version : I've Been Turning... Really I have.

Jon Lanier
04-28-2011, 5:51 PM
Mother's Day Presents for Church. We are making about 35 of these flower vases made out of Sapele Mahogany. When done they will be 7 Inches tall. I would love to have these done but the winter weather has now allowed me to really get into the shop. So, we are rushing to get them done.

I purchased a Colt Maxi Cut forstner bit to make the hole for the tube a bit easier. Well, it cuts like butter! But.... a 'normal extension' does not work with this bit, you have to purchase their extender. It won't get here till Saturday, so we are trying to get as much done before then. Shaping and drilling the hole as far as we can. Can't cut off until drilling can be completed.

That's my son, Josh (15yr) on the lathe helping out.

Steve Campbell
04-28-2011, 7:03 PM
Nice project John. What a thoughtful gesture. Better get to work.....................

Steve

Roger Chandler
04-28-2011, 7:16 PM
Fantastic idea........our church always gives away flowers to the mothers as well..............I would have to get started well in advance of the holiday to get them completed...........maybe for next year! Thanks for the inspiration!

Jon Lanier
04-28-2011, 8:06 PM
Roger, We (my boys and I) Usually make something for Mother's day... and yes plan it ahead. We've done scroll work and turnings. A few year back I was able to get some small jars with a lid. I made cocobolo 'top/covers' and glued the metal lid inside and they made cool jars. The elders of the church bought candy to go inside them. Wife felt they needed a thin bow on them. They were well received. Start thinking now.

Roger Chandler
04-28-2011, 8:11 PM
Roger, We (my boys and I) Usually make something for Mother's day... and yes plan it ahead. We've done scroll work and turnings. A few year back I was able to get some small jars with a lid. I made cocobolo 'top/covers' and glued the metal lid inside and they made cool jars. The elders of the church bought candy to go inside them. Wife felt they needed a thin bow on them. They were well received. Start thinking now.

Thanks Jon............I like the idea of a gift that puts a lot of yourself in it. I have had a number of the ladies look at some of my bowls, and a lamp I did, and some other things, and they all want something, but it takes time I don't generally have, but if I were to plan months in advance I might be able to turn 60 to 75 over a few months.

Jim Burr
04-28-2011, 8:33 PM
Great idea Jon:D. I'd love to do that but we 6000 people at our church :eek:. I guess if every turner on SMC started tuesday......:p

Chip Sutherland
04-28-2011, 10:48 PM
Nice work for your church. Nice simple elegant shape. I hope you get them done in time and can still post the finished photos.

Good choice on the Colt Maxi Cut forstner bit. I bought one to cut one 1/2" hole once. It was an axle hole for the throwing arm of a trebuchet I made for my church to toss pumpkins. I used a 1/2" hand drill and it still cut wonderfully.

I have only turned sapele twice for 2 small ring boxes. It had real pretty flecking rays that really popped when I finished them. Turned with a pleasant smell if I remember right.

Bernie Weishapl
04-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Really nice pieces and a great gestures Jon.

Dan Forman
04-29-2011, 4:05 AM
A very cool project, hope your bit arrives soon!

Dan

jared herbert
04-29-2011, 7:11 AM
Just wondering what kind of glass tube you are using, is it a regular inch dia test tube?

Jon Lanier
04-29-2011, 12:19 PM
I purchased the vase tubes from CSUSA.

Baxter Smith
04-29-2011, 5:29 PM
Nice gifts Jon! You will be very busy shortly!