PDA

View Full Version : Tornadoes in the south.

Roger Newby
04-28-2011, 4:26 PM
Hope all our friends are OK. That is some tremendous devastation.....again. Everybody chime in and let us know how you're doing.

Gary Hodgin
04-28-2011, 7:36 PM
I'm in Murfreesboro, Tn about 35 miles southeast of Nashville. We had about 24+ hours of intense weather. I'm not sure if there was a confirmed tornado right around me, but the straight line winds were 70+ mph in some cases. In about a 2 mile radius from my house there was significant damage (no deaths, trees down, structural damage to a few homes and businesses) on three sides. Tornados were everywhere from southern Ky through northern Ms, Al, and Ga.

I think I'm going to invest in a storm shelter. Tornados are just becoming too common around here. Last year, a woman a child were killed two blocks over from where I live. I thought about a shelter then, but now I'm pretty sure I'll get one.

Neal Clayton
04-30-2011, 3:22 AM
been rough here in arkansas, not as rough as alabama thankfully.

it's just one of those oddball years. my dad tells me they've had 20+mph southeast winds in new orleans for about a month. that's where all this comes from. wherever that southeast wind off of the gulf hits a cool front, you got trouble.

Lee Koepke
04-30-2011, 8:44 AM
I am in western georgia, and I have no idea how .. but all those super cells wrapped around us entirely. A bit windy, llittle rain ... not much else. We get our fair share of tornados / severe weather, but somehow this missed us entirely.

Jerome Hanby
04-30-2011, 1:27 PM
In Trussville, AL we slid through between the major parts of the storm, but there was massive destruction north and south-west of us. Went to my parents up Highway 79 (pretty much a straight shot between Birmingham and Huntsville) to make sure they were okay and drove through some massive damage. Just lucky that area is sparsely populated or the death toll would have been much higher. Not trying to compare disasters, but this hits home much worse than 9/11. Then I think we all knew someone that could have been impacted. This time I think we all know people that were directly hit. I'm not the most social or outgoing type, but my Co-worker's Mother and In-Laws were wiped out and my daughter's playmate's folks had three sets of nearby relatives that lost everything. No deaths, but that was pure luck in most of those cases. What made this really bad is that in North-central Alabama there are "alleys" that tornadoes usually follow and while you can't get used to that at least you are somewhat prepared. This time, most of the places that got demolished were far off of those tracks. If a storm hits Cullman, Eva, or Jones Valley, then many of those folks have storm shelters or at least plans on where to hide. When they come through the middle of Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, or Harvest it's a new experience and no one is prepared.

James Phillips
04-30-2011, 10:38 PM
I grew up in the community that bore the worst of it, so I drove on from Albuquerque. I was unprepared for what I saw.
The destruction is beyond what you can imagine. The tornado missed my childhood home (where my dad still lives) by less than a quarter mile.

Pray for the people here.

Mike OMelia
04-30-2011, 11:58 PM
I live in Huntsville AL. We had a few F4s come through here. Not where I live. One place that was wiped out, Anderson Hills, was wiped out in 95. Nice place! Expensive homes. So sad. Our biggest problem is no power. TVA systems wiped out. May be Monday before they start to turn it back on. Massive power towers just toppled. From nuclear plants. Bought a generator to keep things somewhat normal. Got to work in shop today. So fortuneate compared to others. F5 hit Tuscaloosa, Roll Tide town. 2nd most deadly tornado in recorded history. Longest on ground. Friend of mine list his grandpa up on Sand Mtn. So sad.

Mike

Bryan Morgan
05-01-2011, 1:28 AM
You know what is sad is that a lot of us here on the west coast didn't even realize what was going on over there. Our media is so sensationalized and freak out about every little thing that even when its just a few drops of rain they'll break into shows with special reports and talk about the flooding and mass devastation when there is none. I heard something about tornados and floods but I just ignored it. We had a tornado here a few years ago that went across a single parking lot and I think flipped over a trash can or maybe even a car. The media made it seem like it was the end of the world. It seems more and more people do ignore it because its just hyperbole all the time. Heres a real life example of boy who cried wolf. We had a little wind today and the media railed on for an hour about how bad it is. My BBQ lid didn't even blow closed...

Hope you guys really are ok on that side of the country.

Dennis Peacock
05-01-2011, 8:58 PM
I live in Huntsville AL. We had a few F4s come through here. Not where I live. One place that was wiped out, Anderson Hills, was wiped out in 95. Nice place! Expensive homes. So sad. Our biggest problem is no power. TVA systems wiped out. May be Monday before they start to turn it back on. Massive power towers just toppled. From nuclear plants. Bought a generator to keep things somewhat normal. Got to work in shop today. So fortuneate compared to others. F5 hit Tuscaloosa, Roll Tide town. 2nd most deadly tornado in recorded history. Longest on ground. Friend of mine list his grandpa up on Sand Mtn. So sad.

Mike

Mike,
I feel your pain buddy. I just got back from helping my parents for the week. We were 1/2 mile from the twister that hit Anderson hills. A very dear friend of mine lost everything he had to that particular storm. My heart aches for him and his family.!!!

If you've never experienced NO POWER for 10's of miles from where you live? Be thankful.!!! We were extremely thankful for my parents home being spared as well as for even a single hot cup of coffee from a neighbor that had a generator.

Mike OMelia
05-02-2011, 1:26 AM
No pain here, really. Yes, no power, but that's nothing compared to those folks in Anderson Hills and Tuscaloosa. Heck, I bought a generator. Fridges are cold and so on. But there was real, tragic devastation here. Those of us not in the path have everything to be thankful for. Power outage has been good for us. Kids have played outside 100% of the time. And we grownups have read books endlessly. Now, a hot shower, that would be something! Power should be back on Monday.

Mike

sarah schell
05-02-2011, 10:21 AM
OK here in north Mississippi. Very scary winds and rain for a while, but nothing like our next door neighbors in Alabama got. Thoughts and prayers go out to all of them.