PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for a good entry level router

Keith Heyer
04-28-2011, 3:39 PM
I am looking to buy router and wanted to get some advice from you all. I looked at the Dewalt DWP611 and a Porter Cable.

What would you all recommend?

Chris Padilla
04-28-2011, 3:41 PM
Those two are great starters and often come packages as kits with all sorts of extras. The borgs often have sales on such things so keep an eye out.

Ben Hatcher
04-28-2011, 3:49 PM
Welcome to the creek.

The Porter Cable 690 series is one of the most popular routers around. There are tons of jigs and such that you can buy for those models. Which one is a personal preference. The 690 LR is the most basic model. It will work in a table or freehand well enough. 690LRVS adds variable speed which is nice to have but probably not as nice as getting the plunge base 693LRPK. The plunge feature might not seem all that great at first, but you'll quickly learn to love the things you can do with it. If you're going to do a lot of freehand work, I'd get the D-handle or make your own offset base.

Myk Rian
04-28-2011, 4:03 PM
You can't go wrong with a Craftsman. Much of them are Porter Cable in design.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00927683000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

David Hostetler
04-28-2011, 4:18 PM
The Hitachi KM12VC is another great choice, smooth as glass, and quieter than other routers out there. Not that any router is whisper quiet mind you...

Chip Lindley
04-28-2011, 4:26 PM
I am another Porter-Cable advocate! The current 890 models have come under fire but older P-Cs RULE! There are great values out there on used 690 models. The D-handle base is great in use, but the basic two-handled base is not bad either. The plunge base is very usable too. I have five 690s of various iterations. They just keep running and running...

scott spencer
04-28-2011, 4:40 PM
Keith - There's probably a dozen or more good choices, but if you're going to be using it for hand routing, get one that feels good in your hands. If you think you'll ever be putting it in a router table, get one with variable speed and at least 11 amps (forget the hp ratings). Milwaukee, Hitachi, PC, DW, Ridgid, Makita, Bosch, Craftsman, Triton, and Freud are just some that have viable options. You might find some nice deals on recondition units that'll help you buy better quality and stay in budget.

Whichever you choose, get one that offers 1/2" collet...both 1/4" and 1/2" are better yet, as long as includes the 1/2" option...then use decent quality 1/2" shank bits whenever feasible...avoid the cheapest no-name brand bits because there is more risk of a poorly made bit shedding a carbide tip when spinning at 20K+ rpms.

Bruce Page
04-28-2011, 4:44 PM
Another vote for the PC 690 D-handle base, or even better, the PC 694VK.

glenn bradley
04-28-2011, 6:10 PM
Although the PC690 is a proven workhorse it lacks a lot of the improvements in design that have come along. I am surprised that no one has said "get a plunge" yet. If this is a starter router, get a plunge or a combo kit. A plunge will do most of what a fixed base can do but, not the other way around. A plunge or combo will have you NOT looking for another router longer than a fixed base IMHO.

P.s. I have Milwakee 5615-24 and 5616-24's and have had DeWalts, Bosch and others. Many good combos out there now; this was definitely not the case several years ago.

mickey cassiba
04-28-2011, 6:30 PM
I'm a PC guy...but look around for an older 690...the newer silver ones ain't up to snuff. The olive green ones are the bee's knees. Plunge base is good D handle is a great thing to have.

David Larsen
04-28-2011, 6:37 PM
The 0690 has a $20 rebate out right now. I ordered one and it came to $79 after rebate and had free shipping. That is the cheapest I have seen them and for $79 you really cannot go wrong.

Trevor Walsh
04-28-2011, 9:28 PM
I also advocate for the PC 690, we have them in my shop at work and see tremendous use, when our current 690 died (after 10 some years) without hesitation or looking at different models I purchased an identical replacement. I also bought an 890 to use as a dedicated table router.

johnny means
04-28-2011, 11:07 PM
I looked at the Dewalt DWP611 and a Porter Cable.

I would advise against this class of router as a good entry level router. These are more for the guy that already has several routers and needs a router to fit the really delicate jobs niche.

You want to be able to run 1/2 bits and decent ranger of cutter sizes.

I have a lot of routers and if I had to narrow it down to one it would be the Porter Cable 890. Plenty of power for most tasks, excellent above the table adjustments and bit changes, and generally good ergonomics. A close second would be the Rigid 2 1/4 hp routers. It has very similar features to the Porter Cable. It is a little clunkier with out the pedigree, but can be found at HD for $129 on clearance.

Dustin Brown
04-29-2011, 12:27 AM
The Triton MFC001 is a great one to look at, lots of features. Also has built in means of through table adjustment should you ever want to mount it in a table. No need for a router lift or reaching below the table to set the bit height. Comes with 1/4" and 1/2" collets as well as some other accessories. It can be found on sale in the $159 range. Whatever you do stay away from the Ryobi routers, I made that mistake starting out.

Good luck with your search! Lots of good choices listed above.

Rich Engelhardt
04-29-2011, 5:57 AM
Another PC690 advocate here.
Notice a trend? ;)

Also - best thing I can recommend is go to google and type in Pat Warner.
Follow the link to patwarner(dot)com.
There's a wealth of knowledge there for everyone from beginner to whatever.

Jim Rimmer
04-29-2011, 11:35 AM
I would advise against this class of router as a good entry level router. These are more for the guy that already has several routers and needs a router to fit the really delicate jobs niche.

You want to be able to run 1/2 bits and decent ranger of cutter sizes.

I have a lot of routers and if I had to narrow it down to one it would be the Porter Cable 890. Plenty of power for most tasks, excellent above the table adjustments and bit changes, and generally good ergonomics. A close second would be the Rigid 2 1/4 hp routers. It has very similar features to the Porter Cable. It is a little clunkier with out the pedigree, but can be found at HD for $129 on clearance.

I agree with Johnny on the DW611. It's a great router but not for a starter. It inly has 1/4" collet and is great for detailed work. I'm another PC fan; I have 3 690s. Lots of aftermarket options - seems the PC is the standard for options design.

P.S. If you think you got $6 worth of advice, consider being a contributor. :)

Gary Venable
04-29-2011, 12:05 PM
The PC690 was my first and now I own two. Just a good all around workhorse. It's only since getting my Festool routers that they are not the first one I reach for, though they still get used on a regular basis. If you do go with the 690 get the D-handle base.

-Gary

Paul Steiner
04-29-2011, 12:08 PM
PC 690 and Bosch routers. But the PC 690 is my favorite of all my tools. One of the reasons is is such a reliable workhorse is that all the adjustment hardware is metal on metal. Other routers use plastic screw assemblies that vibrate loose and create sloppy results.
One more reason I vote for the 690 is almost all after market router ad-ons are designed for the 690 or fit the 690. Bushings, inlay kits, plates for tables, etc. etc. all standard for the 690.

David Hostetler
04-29-2011, 12:14 PM
Although the PC690 is a proven workhorse it lacks a lot of the improvements in design that have come along. I am surprised that no one has said "get a plunge" yet. If this is a starter router, get a plunge or a combo kit. A plunge will do most of what a fixed base can do but, not the other way around. A plunge or combo will have you NOT looking for another router longer than a fixed base IMHO.

P.s. I have Milwakee 5615-24 and 5616-24's and have had DeWalts, Bosch and others. Many good combos out there now; this was definitely not the case several years ago.

I guess you didn't read my post... I recommended the Hitachi KM12VC, which is a fixed / plunge base combo kit. I keep the fixed base in my table, and the plunge for freehand work...

glenn bradley
04-29-2011, 4:10 PM
I guess you didn't read my post... I recommended the Hitachi KM12VC, which is a fixed / plunge base combo kit. I keep the fixed base in my table, and the plunge for freehand work...

Quite true David. I'm not that up on Hitachi's model numbers and should have checked. Lots of happy Hitachi owners here as well.

Jerome Hanby
04-29-2011, 4:18 PM
The Hitachi KM12VC is another great choice, smooth as glass, and quieter than other routers out there. Not that any router is whisper quiet mind you...

+1. No real fine adjustment, but a good tough router that's not too big/heavy to drive.

scott spencer
04-29-2011, 4:21 PM
Quite true David. I'm not that up on Hitachi's model numbers and should have checked. Lots of happy Hitachi owners here as well.

You can count me as an M12VC fan too....it's so quiet, light, and smooth. The PC690 and Bosch 1617 are both really nice too, but I ended up thinning the herd for hand routing down to the Milwaukee 5615 w/BodyGrip and the Hitachi. I do miss those hardwood handles on the 1617, but otherwise have been completely happy with my current lineup.

Bryan Cramer
04-29-2011, 10:58 PM
I have a Dewalt 618 2 base. Great router but sawdust gets in the fixed base adjustment when used in the router table. Should have got the PC. The Craftsman I had was good, but it did not hold up to my use. Find a better one on sale or used. What ever you do get a plunge and fixed base kit. They are a good starter router. Then add a router table. Finally, add a permanent router to the table and use the multi base for hand held work only.

Dave Sabo
04-29-2011, 11:58 PM
You can't go wrong with a Craftsman. Much of them are Porter Cable in design.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00927683000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

Sure you can. Their baseplates are pretty flimsy AND only fit Craftsman accessories! I'd also question any association with P Cable too.

A few years back Bosch made one for them and some of the recent ones bear a resemblance to their magnesium ones, but I don't see anything similar to the PC line.

mickey cassiba
04-30-2011, 12:06 AM
Sure you can. Their baseplates are pretty flimsy AND only fit Craftsman accessories! I'd also question any association with P Cable too.

A few years back Bosch made one for them and some of the recent ones bear a resemblance to their magnesium ones, but I don't see anything similar to the PC line.

Second that...when I last worked for PC, c'man was using mainly Ryobi...they seem to go for the least bang for the most buck these days.

scott spencer
04-30-2011, 7:03 AM
Second that...when I last worked for PC, c'man was using mainly Ryobi...they seem to go for the least bang for the most buck these days.

The current Cman routers are made by Danaher and get largely very positive reviews.

Bruno Frontera dela Cruz
04-30-2011, 7:14 AM
I am going to put a different twist on this...

Not knowing if by entry level you mean inexpensive or foolproof/easy to use I will assume the latter.

I borrowed most of the PC routers listed above before I bought my first router; festool 1400eq. I did this for the following reasons:
Dust collection. There are some youtube videos out there that show what this router can do.
Fine adjustment. When setting up half blind dovetails on a leigh d4 jig, the setup time was cut to 1/3 of the time required with other pc routers I used.
Low noise / smooth operation. Smooth as butter during operation.

If you are not on a tight budget go for a festool plunge router and buy a cheap trim router to keep a permanently mounted round over or changer bit in...you will be happy.

Jim Rimmer
05-01-2011, 8:25 PM
There's a couple of PCs listed here. An 890 and a 7518.

Bruce Wrenn
05-01-2011, 9:14 PM
I'm in the PC corner also. I have a PILE of routers, including PC-100's, PC630's, and PC 690's, along with some Bosch, and DeWalt stuff. The PC 630 is the original from which the 690 came. 630 had 1.0 HP, and 690 has 1.5 HP in older versions. New ones are 1.75 HP. I have D handle, plunge, and off set bases for mine. The off set bases gets the most use.