PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Hollowing Bar

Nate Davey
04-28-2011, 11:47 AM
I finally got motivated to finish my Ellsworth style hollowing bar. The handle is 26"x ~2" with 12" of 1/2" square stock. There is 6" of square stock in the handle. The bottom of the handle is oval for a more comfortable grip. I'll try this for a bit and if I don't like it, I'll convert it to a Derry style hollower and if I don't like that, I will go to an articulated hollower. Right now the only money I've spent was $12 for the cutter and $.20 for the screw to secure it to the bar. Now I need to make a handle for the 45 degree cutter and I'll have a complete set. Comments and criticism appreciated.

Tim Rinehart
04-28-2011, 12:55 PM
Hey Nate...looks pretty stout...just let us know how you like it put to use! I've made a couple of my own tools to suit my needs and then just mounted a suitable piece of HSS or carbide to cut with. It sounds like yours is pretty solidly built.
Let us know how it goes. Where did you get your cutter from...is it HSS or carbide?

David E Keller
04-28-2011, 1:58 PM
Looks good to me, Nate. I've made several hollowing tools recently using HSS cutters from Enco, but I've yet to try a custom carbide tool. Looking forward to hearing how you like it.

Steve Schlumpf
04-28-2011, 4:44 PM
Sure looks heavy-duty enough to tackle a large hollow form... or whale if one swims by while turning! Looking forward to your report on how well it works!

David Reed
04-28-2011, 4:52 PM
Does look like it is up to the job. What type steel did you use for the square shaft - cold rolled mild steel or something else?

Nate Davey
04-28-2011, 5:15 PM
Thanks all for the comments, I'm looking forward to trying it out...maybe on the inside of some Mesquite. I've used my Ci0 finisher to do some small hollow forms and really liked it's versatility and easy of use. I could use it on more of the form than a straight cutter. I'm making the handle now for my "traditional" 45 degree cutter, should have it done tonight.

Tim, I think it's HSS, it's the Sorby replacement cutter from Woodcraft but don't remember exactly.

David, not sure what type of steel, it was some scrap in my dads shop. It's very hard though, so maybe cold rolled.

David E Keller
04-28-2011, 8:36 PM
Nate, if that's the same cutter I've got on my Sorby midi-hollower, it's HSS. I use mine all the time for smoothing cuts on the inside of hollowforms... Mine's not very good for bulk waste removal, but it leaves a dandy surface behind.

Scott T Smith
04-28-2011, 11:04 PM
Looking good Nate! Is that a Pex crimp ring on the end of the handle?

Nate Davey
04-29-2011, 5:57 AM
The ring is Ellsworth approved twine CA'd to the gills.