PDA

View Full Version : Coreldraw x3 - "Font List" issue

Tim Earling
04-28-2011, 10:07 AM
I have coreldraw x3. The other day I had to reformat my computer and erased my hard drive. I reinstalled Corel. Now, when I select my "Font List" option, I only get a bout 25% of the font choices. Just wondering what I may have done wrong during the re-installation. Can anybody help me?
Thanks

Ron Chapellaz
04-28-2011, 10:20 AM
Tim, you would have needed to have made a back up copy of all your fonts before you erased your hard drive. You likely installed other programs along the way that also loaded fonts onto your hard drive. To get those fonts back you'll have to reload some of that software or do a search online for specific fonts.

Tim Earling
04-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Ron,
I had just gotten the program installed before I had to erase my hard drive and never imported or uploaded Fonts to Corel. I loaded the program on another computer and it has all the fonts (it's my back up computer).

Terry Jurek
04-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Every Windows based graphics package (that I know of) pulls its font list from the OS's installed fonts. System fonts aren't flagged per-application. It might be possible that you had a bunch of additional fonts installed on your system that are no longer there due to the erasure. The good news is that there are tons of free font sites out there where you can get just about any font face imaginable. Just be careful of viruses/malware. Don't download from any site that asks you to install a font "tool" or toolbar.

If you're like me and have a library of fonts that I use then as Ron stated, it might not be a bad idea to keep your fonts backed up so they can be re-installed at a later date if need be.

Tim Earling
04-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Terry,
Do you have any suggested websites to download free fonts?

Ron Chapellaz
04-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Ron,
I had just gotten the program installed before I had to erase my hard drive and never imported or uploaded Fonts to Corel. I loaded the program on another computer and it has all the fonts (it's my back up computer).

Tim, if you have the fonts on your other computer you'll want to copy the fonts (open the operating system, go to the windows folder, then fonts folder) and copy them over and install them. You should be able to regain them back.

Tim Earling
04-28-2011, 1:27 PM
Tim, if you have the fonts on your other computer you'll want to copy the fonts (open the operating system, go to the windows folder, then fonts folder) and copy them over and install them. You should be able to regain them back.

Ron, that is a great idea. I will try that this afternoon when I get home.
In the event it doesn't, is their anywhere I can go to download a bunch of fonts?
Thanks, Tim

Ron Chapellaz
04-28-2011, 1:43 PM
dafontdot com comes to mind, you'll have to do them one at a time. and 1001freefonts dotcom where you can download10,000 for $20, but a google search might be your best bet for specific fonts you are looking for. I would definitely try and get yours back first!

Bill Cunningham
04-28-2011, 9:15 PM
If your using Font Navigator (comes with corel, and there are a TON of fonts on the corel disk) it will search your drive, and allow you to install fonts as you need them, rather than slugging down some computer speed because there are a lot of unused fonts in your windows font directory.

Mike Null
04-29-2011, 10:51 AM
Bill nailed it. Check your Corel cd's and you'll find all your fonts.

Tim Earling
04-30-2011, 12:18 AM
Bill, I found the Font Navigator (comes up as FontNav) on the Corel Cd. When I click on it goes straight to install and I it opens up the file and seems to extract it and then says finish. After this, I look in my Windows Font file and I do not see the fonts - I open up Corel and I still don't see them. Do you know how I could view them?
-
I was able to go under my Font Window on my other computer and copy the fonts and transferred them over to my laptop (the computer I want them on). I would like to try and see all the other fonts on the Corel CD if it is possible.

Thanks, Tim

Bill Cunningham
04-30-2011, 8:39 PM
If you have all the fonts transferred from the cd to your computer (don't install them, just copy them to a directory someplace, call it what ever you like) Font Navigator works two ways. Font Navigator will search your HD and locate all your fonts. It will show them in a window on the left. It will show ay fonts that are currently installed in a window on the right. If you want to 'install' a font, simply drag it from the left window to the right window. Do the opposite to uninstall the font when no longer needed. You do NOT want a huge clump of fonts installed that you don't use. They will only sit in memory and slowdown your computer. If you load a Corel file, and it needs a font you have not installed, font navigator will tell Corel where it is on your HD and allow it to be used.(There is a button to click and allow this when it checks the needed fonts.) Font Navigator keeps your font directory clear of seldom used fonts, but allows Corel to access them if needed.

Tim Earling
05-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Bill,
Got it to work. Thank you very much.