PDA

View Full Version : Basswood Bowl

Johnny Taylor
04-28-2011, 4:23 AM
This piece started out as a bland Bass wood bowl blank that was given to me. Its about 8" wide and 3" tall. Its been turned, then the texture painstakingly pyro'd on one dent at a time with a spoon tip, dyed dark purple inside and out, gilt cream applied and washed back with mineral oil to give the old metallic hamered look and the inside gold leafed, with holes created in the leaf with a brass brush in the dremel and then
gilt cream applied over the holes to try and give a very old worn appearance. Theres a fair bit of work in this for a bowl!
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/johnnyjtaylor/woodturnings/bowls002a.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/johnnyjtaylor/woodturnings/bowls005.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/johnnyjtaylor/woodturnings/bowls006.jpg
Comments and critiques are most welcome.

Johnny

There is more information on the thoughts behind the design on my blog, which is linked in my profile.

Dan Forman
04-28-2011, 5:05 AM
Johnny---That is just fabulous, not at all what I expected from the thread title! You have way more patience than I, but what a great result.

Kathy Marshall
04-28-2011, 5:22 AM
Wow! Absolutely Amazing bowl! I really like what you've done with this bowl, and IMO well worth the time and effort you put into it!

John Keeton
04-28-2011, 6:36 AM
Well, not to mention that it is a beautiful form - very clean - but, the embellishments are over the top!! Great work, and such a wonderful result. Fantastic!

Tim Thiebaut
04-28-2011, 7:06 AM
That is simply amazing, one of the best looking bowls I have seen posted here.

Bob Bergstrom
04-28-2011, 9:38 AM
Exceptional work. Fantastic combination of design, form, and execution!!

George Babij
04-28-2011, 9:55 AM
WOW That is Absolutely Amazing!!!
Take Care
George

jwjerry w kowalski
04-28-2011, 10:13 AM
Wow, I love it, have never seen anything close to it. What a beautiful tone of color and wonderful craftsmanship!

Mark Hazelden
04-28-2011, 12:12 PM
I have to admit that I was thinking, "How exciting can a basswood bowl be?" Then I saw your pictures.

Thank you for showing me how exciting a basswood bowl CAN be! Beautiful.

bob svoboda
04-28-2011, 12:32 PM
That is simply stunning. Well done!

Baxter Smith
04-28-2011, 1:21 PM
Great work though I would probably have to see this one in person to fully appreciate it!

Michael James
04-28-2011, 1:24 PM
Beautiful! Very nice job on this one.

Steve Campbell
04-28-2011, 5:06 PM
Thats the nicest basswood bowl I have ever seen. Would love to see it in person.

Steve

Johnny Taylor
04-28-2011, 5:19 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I admit the title of the thread was a bit of a tease LOL but it is Basswood under there I promise!

Baxter you're welcome to come over and have a look in person anytime, there is a small stretch of water about 3000 miles wide between us though..........

Johnny

Gene Hintze
04-28-2011, 7:30 PM
Bonk!!! That was the sound of my jaw hitting the table as I looked at the photos. Stunning! I have to stop looking at these posts. Makes me feel like a complete hack.

Steve Schlumpf
04-28-2011, 9:37 PM
Johnny - I suppose you are busy getting ready to go to the wedding - so I just wanted to take a moment to say that I find your bowl absolutely amazing! Love the texture, the rich colors and really like your aged gold leaf effect. Stunning and I am sure it is quite a delight to see in person! Also wanted to say that in addition to your artistic abilities - I also really appreciate your photos! Very clean, well lit and uncluttered!

Very nice work! Looking forward to seeing what you create next!

Roger Chandler
04-28-2011, 9:58 PM
Dude! That is about a cool as it gets for basswood!!! :cool::cool:;)

Sid Matheny
04-28-2011, 10:14 PM
WOW! I am really at a loss for words for this one. Wonderful!!!

Sid

Chip Sutherland
04-28-2011, 10:35 PM
Nice job. The most I have ever pyro'd or gilded a piece was about 1/2 of it. And I know how long it took me. I can really appreciate the labor of love. Bold. Well done.

Bernie Weishapl
04-28-2011, 10:56 PM
Beautiful Johnny. Really nice detail work and love the bowl form.

David Reed
04-28-2011, 11:56 PM
You really belted this one out of the park. It looks just like some pieces I have seen the the British Museum - very well aged.
I may actually find myself in the UK early June. Where is Norfork anyway? Love to see your works.

John Nowack
04-29-2011, 12:32 AM
CRAZY COOL....thought I was going to see a bland bowl with you asking "what do I do with this thing" then BAM! truely truley love that

John Hart
04-29-2011, 6:37 AM
Oh my!! The amount of work involved is readily apparent, the form, wonderful, and the overall final result, stunning. Congratulations on a timeless piece. ;)

Johnny Taylor
05-02-2011, 5:14 AM
Thank you for all the nice comments regarding this piece, I'm sorry its took me so long to reply, all your comments are so very much appreciated.

Johnny - I suppose you are busy getting ready to go to the wedding - so I just wanted to take a moment to say that I find your bowl absolutely amazing! Love the texture, the rich colors and really like your aged gold leaf effect. Stunning and I am sure it is quite a delight to see in person! Also wanted to say that in addition to your artistic abilities - I also really appreciate your photos! Very clean, well lit and uncluttered!

Very nice work! Looking forward to seeing what you create next!

Steve, I think they forgot to mail me my invite! I had to watch on the tv like everyone else LOL! With regards to the photos its took me two years to get better at taking them of turned pieces, the best thing I done by far was to get some proper photo lights, they really make all the difference!

You really belted this one out of the park. It looks just like some pieces I have seen the the British Museum - very well aged.
I may actually find myself in the UK early June. Where is Norfork anyway? Love to see your works.

David, Norfolk is in eastern England, basically its the easterly most part of the rounded bit that sticks out of the side of england! About 100 miles from London. If you're over here you would be most welcome for a visit and chat :).