PDA

View Full Version : Wood ID Request (or Stealth Gloat)

James Combs
04-27-2011, 11:50 PM
I got a call from a previous pen customer to come over and pickup an exotic (foreign) wood pallet that they had put aside for me.

They receive shipments of wooden flooring from various foreign countries and the pallets are usually made from that countries local lumbers. I can't identify the wood so I would appreciate your help. Here are some more closeups of the boards.

The planks will only be useful for (watch out bad word coming) "flat-work" and pen blanks but the runners are large enough for small turnings such as birdhouses or ornaments. They are of a different kind of wood. They have an orange to pinkish coloring with a very tight grain. The blurry photo taken with existing light shows the pinkish caste that can be seen with the naked eye but is not apparent it the flash picture of the same piece at the left.

And now the rest of the story/gloat. They not only saved me the pallet but since I happened to have my pen samples with me they purchased 2 pens from the samples and ordered 3 more plus... are you ready???...

They gave me the wood for the 3 new pens (plus enough for a few hundred more). The guys run a milled wood supply house. They went around to various displays of 3/4" by (various w/l's) and started gathering up pieces piling them up in front of me with "can you use this", "make my pen from this", "how about this" and all the while I am trying to keep the drool wiped off my chin. The smallest piece you see here is about 3"x14" on the far left.

Inventory wise it is: From the left to the right.
1ea. Brazilian Rosewood, 3ea. Asian Walnut, 2ea. Tigerwood, 2ea. Domestic Hickory, 4ea. Australian Cypress, 1ea. Brazilian Cherry, and 1ea. Brazilian Redwood.

Going to make some great looking pen blanks and maybe some (bad word again) flat-work.

Thanks in advance for helping ID the pallet lumber.

Dan Hintz
04-28-2011, 6:14 AM
Like that Asian Walnut...

John Keeton
04-28-2011, 6:33 AM
JD, I have no idea what kind of wood it might be in that pallet - I suspect the cheapest and most plentiful wood available in that region - but, I sure like some of the other stuff they gave you! I am with Dan - like the Asian walnut.

John Hart
04-28-2011, 8:52 AM
JD....I'm not sure you understand the meaning of "stealth". Holy Cow man!!

Chances are, the pallet is made of a whole bunch of different woods. Dunno any of them. :)

Keith E Byrd
04-28-2011, 9:37 AM
Afriend of mine owns a hardwood flooring companuy and he says the pallets are always made of the same wood shipped on the pallets. Take a piece to a hardwood floor and they will probably be able to tell you.

James Combs
04-28-2011, 3:50 PM
Thanks for the responses folks. As some of you noted the Asian Walnut does stand out but the others are good lookers too.

JD....I'm not sure you understand the meaning of "stealth". Holy Cow man!!
Chances are, the pallet is made of a whole bunch of different woods. Dunno any of them. :)

Thanks John just trying to be a little humorous. All the pallet planks are the same wood except for one half length piece. The runners are of a different species.

Afriend of mine owns a hardwood flooring companuy and he says the pallets are always made of the same wood shipped on the pallets. Take a piece to a hardwood floor and they will probably be able to tell you.

Thanks Keith, I will be delivering the new pens that the provider of the pallet ordered tomorrow, I will ask them then. They are a hardwood flooring supplier distributor.

Steve Schlumpf
04-28-2011, 4:35 PM
No idea on the pallet wood but Congrats on your huge haul of exotics! Be sure to post some photos of the pens you turn!