PDA

View Full Version : Bailey #4 Before & After

Tom LaRussa
02-03-2005, 6:57 AM
This is a late Type 15 Number 4 that I fettled yesterday. Cute little bugger, no? :D

Louis Bois
02-03-2005, 7:22 AM
Nice work Tom...although I think you polished the brass depth adjustment knob just a little too much...near blinded me! :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
02-03-2005, 7:48 AM
That really cleaned up nicely, Tom. I really admire the work you've been putting into refurbing the planes and chisels.

Mike Scoggins
02-04-2005, 3:26 PM
Nice job, Tom! The #4 looks very nice now that you've cleaned her up.

Nice work Tom...although I think you polished the brass depth adjustment knob just a little too much...near blinded me! :rolleyes:

Tom, what method did you use for polishing the brass? It does have a nice shine. I've got another batch of old rusties coming my way and I'd like to achieve the same sheen on the brass knobs. Also I just like to say thanks for the sharing of your knowledge and expertise on this forum. A lot of your tips have helped me in my fettling of planes.

Thanks,
Mike

Jack Hogoboom
02-04-2005, 9:41 PM
Tom,

How the heck did you do that? It looks almost brand new!!! I have a few beaters that I'd love to shine up if you can share your methods.

Jack

Tom LaRussa
02-04-2005, 11:22 PM
Tom,

How the heck did you do that? It looks almost brand new!!!
What? That old thing?

All I gave that one was a quick spiffying up.

See below for a #5 that got a pretty decent restoration from a rusted hulk. I'm still not happy with it though, because the sole still has some scratches that I haven't been persistent enough to get rid of and the handles, which I partially stripped, don't really look "right."

I'm pretty happy with the Japanning though. It's brand new. I had to strip this one down to absolute bare metal to get at all the rust.

I have a few beaters that I'd love to shine up if you can share your methods.
No problem. I'll write up something this weekend.

The thing you have to understand though is that these are not my methods. I only started doing this a couple months ago, and everything I do is either directly or indirectly copied from somebody else.

:)

John Dingman
02-05-2005, 9:52 AM
Tom,

As the others have said......Beautiful Job! The brass depth adjustment knob is very nice, I have never been able to get one that shiney. On the No. 4, what did you do to the tote and knob? They look outstanding. Again, Great Job Tom!

John